Help to identify antique mantel clock

SteveTimes

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of learning how to service my great grandparents mantel clock, I've previously worked on watches. But before I begin, I'd like to learn a bit about where the clock was made, and what kind of year. My Grandfather says it's over 100 years old at least, and it came from my Grandmothers parents in Wales.

I cannot see any kind of manufacturer marking that is obvious, it says 'foreign' on the clock face. So I assume it was made in Europe for export? Just a guess. A friend of mine thinks it might be German.

It has a Westminster chime.

Any advice welcome,

cheers

mantelclock1.jpg

mantelclock2.jpg

It looks very much the same construction as the Hermle clocks 1050-020 and others but they have floating balances,  a clearer picture of the stamp mark may lead to more information……. Of European Origin probably German.  Old Hippy will have seen a few in his time I’m sure,  we await his wisdom.

It was made in Germany and I would say it is from around the early 1930's. It should be of 8 day duration and it is a Westminster chime with a silent or chime lever at the right hand side of the dial at 3. The case looks like oak.  

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 9:54 AM, oldhippy said:

It was made in Germany and I would say it is from around the early 1930's. It should be of 8 day duration and it is a Westminster chime with a silent or chime lever at the right hand side of the dial at 3. The case looks like oak.  

Thank you, that sounds about right!  (ps @watchweasol that stamp is a little clock-face with two art-deco style wings on either side of it, with the letters Y T underneath.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

It could be a Schlenker & Kienzle

I'm guessing Kienzle, just because I zoomed in on the back plate.  Down near the bottom, behind the pendulum, it looks like there is an engraving of a pair of wings.  The pendulum is in the way so I can't see if there is a star or a wheel between them but, either way, I recall Kienzle uses that trademark.  

Thank you all, here is a better photo of the wings @KarlvonKoln

By the way - I have previously taught myself how to service old pocket watches (1920's era top winders) I'd like to service this clock myself, although I haven't looked into clock servicing yet. Could anyone point me in the direction of perhaps a relevant guide or video that might help me? Also perhaps someone might be so kind as to point out some of the basic fundamentals I might need to have, like lubricants and/or tools needed for the job. Thanks again.

mantleclock3.jpg

• Like 1

The first thing you need in clock servicing is some mainspring let sown tops to re move the power safely. As far as instructional guides, I don’t think there is any thing specific as most clocks are constructed in a similar fashion . Our resident Guru, Old Hippy is well knowledgable in clocks and along with others can help.  De Charles book on clock repair would be helpful if you intend to go a little deeper.

@watchweasol I see, so not as simple as a regular barrel in a pocket watch. Perhaps I might want to give this to a professional for a service. I'm located in Coventry UK. My Grandad says he used to take it to a place on medieval Spon Street in the city centre. @oldhippy I'm interested to know your recommendations for me getting the clock serviced? Thanks

Your best bet is to go here https://bhi.co.uk/repairer/

Click on down load clock repairers list as you are in Coventry look for West Midlands. The list only contains the best repairers so expect to pay a lot for such a clock to be completely overhauled remember with a chime you have three different train of wheels plus all the other parts my guess would be around £200 please don't hold me to that I retired from horology a very long time ago.  

Edited by oldhippy