Plastic Holder... sticks? Where to buy

Hi All

This is probably me just being a snob because I have stacks of peg wood, but I see these plastic 'sticks' (technical term) being used all the time in videos and I like the fact they have a permanent, but rounded point!

I have a couple of issues, 1. I don't know what they are called and; 2., ergo I can't search for them as a result!

Any pointers? Wait..... pointers? 🙂 

Cheers

Jon

It's called component probe. There is the Bergeon 6436 that I have and I don't use because it leaves small plastic flakes behind. There's also the Bergeon 7010, I haven't used it so I can't say how good it is, but probably it is a better choice.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, aac58 said:

It's called component probe. There is the Bergeon 6436 that I have and I don't use because it leaves small plastic flakes behind. There's also the Bergeon 7010, I haven't used it so I can't say how good it is, but probably it is a better choice.

The Bergeon 7010 is a good choice.  I have one I think I paid around $10 for.  It's expensive for what it is, but $10 won't break the bank.  Quite a useful tool indeed.  I also have a Bergeon 6436 and never use it for the exact reasons you describe.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, aac58 said:

I concur re: bits of plastic from the Bergeon 6436. I like pegwood but was scolded for using one during assembly. After feeling shame an appropriate amount time I shelled out for the Horotec Utility Stick with replaceable tips made of PEEK, whatever that is. It’s stupid money but I use it all the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomh207 said:

I agree, a nice looking tool just a bit pricey for what it is. I use a nylon needle to hold the ratchet wheel when removing the its screw. You can buy thermoplastic peek rods on ebay for cheap so that means i will be trying some. 

Screenshot_20230423-125420_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20230423-124543_eBay.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tomh207 said:

Something that is definitely not worth paying the Swiss made tax, they are a common tool in the computer/electronics world.

Love the word "spudger". If you search on ebay, spudgers are cheap as chips, e.g. 10 for £3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mikepilk said:

spudgers are cheap

I have tried them, they seem to be made out of nylon or some other soft material and I have found that the tip often gets torn up bu any sharp edges in the watch leaving behind debris - maybe I just got a bad brand? The PEEK looks interesting though, may give that a try when I wear out my 6 perspex rods ha ha 

• Like 1