Broken mainspring drum - repair and replacement options

matthewk

I'm trying to restore a Japy Feres movement, but one of the mainspring barrels has some missing teeth. I don't have the tools or experience necessasry to repair it - can anyone recommend somewhere that could repair it or supply me a replacement? 

image_copy_1024x905.jpg

IMG_20230419_175022_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

This type of repair you will need someone who has a few years’ experience, where the teeth are missing it looks like cast brass which is not the best type of brass to work with. If it were me I would replace the teeth part of the barrel so a new one would be made and fitted. It will cost a lot to have this movement completely repaired. Click on the link and it will find someone who can help you. Tell them you have French Strike and one of the barrels has many missing teeth.  Ask how much they charge.

Go here. https://bhi.co.uk/

Click on Find a Repairer, then accredited clock repairers download the pdf file and look for the nearest to where you live.

• Like 1

Hi not an easy repair by any means it my be as Old Hippy says a cast brass, under magnification it may be a falire of a previously soldered section, in either case it will want a good clean up,  Also the barrel arbour looks the barrel front is worn, quite a bit going on that needs attention. Replacement donor barrel may be the cheapest option.