Compatible jewelling tools

Eyup watch people, i hope we are all well. Can anyone tell me if there is a source anywhere that provides a compatibility list for jewelling tools. I have just aquired a Star make with only a few pushers and anvils but also has a spindle that fits reamers. Its in good condition, and i have a few Star tools so i thought a nice addition and bought it regardless of having to look for accessories. In a wild hope that my Chinese Horia clone ones might fit, they do not. The Anvils are a little slack and the pushers are too tight for the spindle. The Star pusher spindle accepts 3.95mm the clone 4mm. I've had some thoughts about making some pushers and reamers to fit the extra spindle, just thoughts lol.Some feedback on different sized pushers and makes would be appreciated thanks watch peeps.

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2023 at 9:45 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

The Star pusher spindle accepts 3.95mm the clone 4mm.

I came across a vintage Star jeweling tool (99 USD buy now on ebay and labelled as a staking set). Wanted something that could do reaming so grabbed it right away. Had one broken pusher and one broken reamer.  
The current Bergeon/Seitz reamers fit the reaming spindle but as you mentioned, the Bergeon/Seitz pushers  are too large for the jeweling spindle.

IMG_3306.thumb.jpeg.b1fd1e36f813c3cfaa57cee345ba2928.jpeg

2 hours ago, JohnFrum said:

I came across a vintage Star jeweling tool (99 USD buy now on ebay and labelled as a staking set). Wanted something that could do reaming so grabbed it right away. Had one broken pusher and one broken reamer.  
The current Bergeon/Seitz reamers fit the reaming spindle but as you mentioned, the Bergeon/Seitz pushers  are too large for the jeweling spindle.

IMG_3306.thumb.jpeg.b1fd1e36f813c3cfaa57cee345ba2928.jpeg

Thanks John thats interesting,  ive been looking for a seitz tool as cousins sell the reamers separately for it.  It might be that i already have a spindle that accepts them, your spindles do look the same as mine. Would you mind measuring the reamer's fit for me, I'm sure they are tapered so a top to bottom measurement would be great thank you. The cousins site doesnt provide that information. 

16 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Would you mind measuring the reamer's fit for me, I'm sure they are tapered so a top to bottom measurement would be great thank you. The cousins site doesnt provide that information. 

The reamer spindle itself is 8.0 mm OD and 2.36 mm ID

IMG_3313.thumb.jpeg.11ec81297ce424bcd6245b5170c997e9.jpeg

I measured 3 reamers - shaft diameters at top and at bottom of taper - the one on the left is a 0.99 original Star - middle is a 1.99 vintage Seitz (from Dave’s Watch Parts) - right is a brand new 0.99 Bergeon/Seitz (from Otto Frei). The new ones have a shoulder lip so I measured the shaft right below the lip (where insertion stops).
IMG_3318.thumb.jpeg.0457abf9f6f6217193fd8d4518b99084.jpeg

Star - 2.50 mm Top, 2.34 mm Bottom

Seitz - 2.50 mm Top, 2.34 mm Bottom

Bergeon - 2.48 mm Top, 2.33 mm Bottom

Note that all three reamers fit the spindle. Here it is with the brand new Bergeon IMG_3322.thumb.jpeg.b66121dd324eddb0d586cfe73815c16f.jpeg

I bought the Bergeon cannon pinion pusher/anvil set to use with my Ruihua (Horia clone). That fits the Chinese Horia clone just fine as does a vintage Seitz concave pusher I bought from Dave’s. They don’t fit the Star pusher spindle unfortunately. I think just one of the Ruihua pushers is off tolerance enough to just fit the Star. 

If your Star reamer spindle is the same, you have yourself a nice reamer tool to use with new Bergeon reamers from Otto Frei or CousinsUK. 

I’m now looking to have a few brass and Delrin pushers made to use with the Star for setting hands. 

Edited by JohnFrum

1 hour ago, JohnFrum said:

The reamer spindle itself is 8.0 mm OD and 2.36 mm ID

IMG_3313.thumb.jpeg.11ec81297ce424bcd6245b5170c997e9.jpeg

I measured 3 reamers - shaft diameters at top and at bottom of taper - the one on the left is a 0.99 original Star - middle is a 1.99 vintage Seitz (from Dave’s Watch Parts) - right is a brand new 0.99 Bergeon/Seitz (from Otto Frei). The new ones have a shoulder lip so I measured the shaft right below the lip (where insertion stops).
IMG_3318.thumb.jpeg.0457abf9f6f6217193fd8d4518b99084.jpeg

Star - 2.50 mm Top, 2.34 mm Bottom

Seitz - 2.50 mm Top, 2.34 mm Bottom

Bergeon - 2.48 mm Top, 2.33 mm Bottom

Note that all three reamers fit the spindle. Here it is with the brand new Bergeon IMG_3322.thumb.jpeg.b66121dd324eddb0d586cfe73815c16f.jpeg

I bought the Bergeon cannon pinion pusher/anvil set to use with my Ruihua (Horia clone). That fits the Chinese Horia clone just fine as does a vintage Seitz concave pusher I bought from Dave’s. They don’t fit the Star pusher spindle unfortunately. I think just one of the Ruihua pushers is off tolerance enough to just fit the Star. 

If your Star reamer spindle is the same, you have yourself a nice reamer tool to use with new Bergeon reamers from Otto Frei or CousinsUK. 

I’m now looking to have a few brass and Delrin pushers made to use with the Star for setting hands. 

Very helpful John and much appreciated. The spindle measurements are identical,  that now gives me some confidence to order at least one reamer to try, but it looks very promising. The brass pushers were also on my mind to have a go at making myself, the delrin sounds interesting as well. I did have a thought to try some hard timbers like ebony, blackwood and lignum that i have kicking around from my old wood turning days. Thanks again John for the detailed information and taking the time to measure them up for me 👍

16890219871078582299673854374672.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

• 2 weeks later...

Another one of these Star tools, but rebranded, came up on Ebay. Minus all jewels, all pushers and reamers but the tool itself in better condition than the one I bought before. 99 USD. I could not resist. Now wondering if I could increase the bore of the pusher spindles (since I now have two)  to accommodate the Seitz pushers 
IMG_1318.thumb.jpeg.0a8146e7021a1d93e91820cf67e95a7e.jpegIMG_1319.thumb.jpeg.ac2a444d6d7dbdf29e51a21ea8ef8df2.jpeg

• Like 1

If the spindle diameter is 8mm (which almost all seem to be), then you can get a new spindle for either 3mm or 4mm pushers from Horia for a reasonable price. A Seitz spindle would work as well, but I don't see them listed at Cousins, just the reamer spindle (might be worth asking if they do have the pusher spindle), or just trawl Ebay until an orphan spindle comes up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 2:40 AM, nickelsilver said:

If the spindle diameter is 8mm (which almost all seem to be), then you can get a new spindle for either 3mm or 4mm pushers from Horia for a reasonable price. A Seitz spindle would work as well, but I don't see them listed at Cousins, just the reamer spindle (might be worth asking if they do have the pusher spindle), or just trawl Ebay until an orphan spindle comes up.

Got an orphan “Brevet” Pusher spindle. 8mm. Fits the Star and holds a new 4mm Bergeon pusher perfectly.IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.ee2c4de7bc7f4de200251e77207aa08b.jpegIMG_3661.thumb.jpeg.eca614df0ede17e959a8b0b6b3727110.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2023 at 6:57 PM, JohnFrum said:

Got an orphan “Brevet” Pusher spindle. 8mm. Fits the Star and holds a new 4mm Bergeon pusher perfectly.IMG_3663.thumb.jpeg.ee2c4de7bc7f4de200251e77207aa08b.jpegIMG_3661.thumb.jpeg.eca614df0ede17e959a8b0b6b3727110.jpeg

Just got myself a seitz tool with a pusher and reamer spindle, the star pushers fit the seitz and the 4mm chinese horia clone stumps and pump pushers also fit. The Marshall C &E set i have is totally non compatible with pushers or reamers.

• Like 1