My servicing journey

Very much new to this, but I am dedicated.  Have spent some money on tooling to include grabbing up vintage tools when I can.  Have a vintage K&D staking set, two vintage screw polishers, and an older undercutter.  Other tools are new to include mixing in Bergeon and Horotec as well as generic when it makes sense.

I have a fairly good size collection of around 50 (cased and straped) watches so far, and somewhere around 30 movements in various states (cased, no case, working, few not working).  I have been practicing some acrylic polishing as well as cleaning case parts in an ultrasonic.

My test run on working a scratched acrylic on a Benrus that is running very very well attached.  A few deeper scratches to attach but considering I did this in about 20 minutes running from 800 to 10,000 grit pads (hand) not bad.

The 3L Vevo ultrasonic came in today along with the L&R ultrasonic cleaning solution, so I put in a gross case and stem from a Bradley watch (EB 8800).  I am using the jar method, where I put distilled water in the tank and the cleaning solutions in jars with the parts.  That way I don't have to dump out the solution constantly; I can seal up the jar and wait for the next run and of course do concurrent clean/rinse if I get staggered.  The L&R rinsing solution is a day or two out still, so I just rinsed with water for now - this was a test run on a watch I will service and then flip.

I will catalog my journey here, get tips and tricks from you experts.  I have the oils, oilers, tools and gumption to start taking down some movements, so game on!

Benrus Crystal Polish 1.jpg

Bradley before after sonic.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

• Like 3