Automatic rotor bearing

So I’m almost done with my project ETA 2830, only thing left is fixing a loose rotor. I installed a new rotor bearing, and it seems to be only slightly better than the old one. This is the first time I've replaced a bearing, but feel like I was quite gentle tapping in the new one with a staking set. Any ideas what I might have messed up before I order yet another bearing?

FA62C020-E4CA-4D00-AB05-115FFE6D914B.jpeg

Of course not knowing what exactly you have done, it is hard to advise how to do it differently 🤔

Next to that, the new bearing seems "slightly better"; how good or how bad is that?

Perhaps this video may help?

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

In what respect is the new bearing better?      winds more?     turns more freely?  tilts less? 

Should  not  punch a bearing in place, just tweeze it in, in a pair of stout tweezers. Oiling inside the rotor hole, reduces the friction when inserting the bearing.

You say you are pretty new to watch repair and this is an asjusted good grade movement, a lower grade movement would have been more suitabke to work on.

Rgds  and good luck.

Edited by Nucejoe

Thanks for the advice.  I should have specified, rotor tilt is the issue.  I’ll give the oil and tweezer approach a try, seems like the way to go.  This is probably my 15th or so movement, and it’s running great except for this.  Thanks again!

This ball bearing is actually a pully in groove of which steel balls roll, lower rim of the pully isn't fixed so when tapped ( even gently)  can  move, as a result upper& lower rims push on the steel  balls, thus the bearing doesn't swing as freely as a new bearing should. A rotor fitted with new ball bearings should swing for 30 seconds when hung on a piece of pegwood.

IMG_3763.JPG

• 1 month later...