Manual wind running issues

Hi All,

I just recently had my Cartier tank fully serviced as the main spring broke ( was running perfectly before the main spring broke and i dint know when the last service was done so I went ahead and did the full service anyways ). Main spring was replaced. Got the watch back from my watch maker and about 5 hours later it stopped working

as it seemed like the main spring broke again. Took it back again, main spring replaced, watch ran for about an hour and stopped again, so I then went back and dropped it to my watch maker, fixed it and advised a screw or what not was not tightened and the spring was not released?. So I got the watch back and it ran for about 6 hours and stopped again. Main spring is still good. The watch was able to wind fully but still does not run. I opened it up myself and I can see the balance wheel does move freely. 

My question is, what seems to be the issue here? Why does it keep stopping? Ill be taking it back to my watch maker for the 4th time now....

Thank you in advance!

1980s Cartier Tank 925 Argent Manual Wind. 

5 hours ago, markp19 said:

My question is, what seems to be the issue here? Why does it keep stopping? Ill be taking it back to my watch maker for the 4th time now....

it seems your watchmaker doesn't have a proper quality control testing. In other words when watches serviced usually want to run it for several days to verify that it indeed is fixed and it will run. Fixing the watch and assuming that it's going to run and handing it back to the customer well as you're finding out now leads to an unhappy customer.

5 hours ago, markp19 said:

1980s Cartier Tank 925 Argent Manual Wind. 

it would be nice when you take the back off next time to get a picture of the watch we like to see pictures of watches. then the problem with the description you have is that it doesn't tell us which movement you have. so we really need a picture of the movement.

13 hours ago, markp19 said:

Why does it keep stopping? Ill be taking it back to my watch maker for the 4th time now....

I wouldn't do that!

A conscientious watchmaker would, as @JohnR725points out, never hand out a repaired/serviced watch without thoroughly testing it for at least a couple of days. Watch movements are complex and extremely sensitive machines of precision and should in my opinion only be worked on by people with a true passion for the subject. 

13 hours ago, markp19 said:

Got the watch back from my watch maker and about 5 hours later it stopped working

as it seemed like the main spring broke again.

In my opinion, a mainspring should always be replaced when professionally serviced (unless it is in flawless condition). Now, a broken mainspring must be replaced as it can't (normally) be repaired. So, assuming it was replaced with a new and unused mainspring the explanation that it broke again is, for lack of a better word, nothing but BS. Braking a new mainspring by winding it too hard is nearly impossible. Before the mainspring breaks it's more likely that something else will give. And mind you, it takes excessive force the destroy or damage something in the movement by winding it. Or you could say, damage to a watch movement by winding it can never occur by accident or "normal carelessness".

Take it to a watch repairer with a passion for watches!

• Like 2