Show us your military watch

markr

9 hours ago, markr said:

Here are my Tudors.  Both dials have been refinished before I received them.The first one should be two toned and should not say Rolex.

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5472.JPG

It's a Tudor AND a Rolex- twice as valuable!

The Cyma is nice- WWII or before?

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rehajm said:

Not sure yet. 

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Just bought this.  Comes with what I think is an outer case. 

Screenshot_20230412_114054_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230412_114058_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230412_114109_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230412_114149_eBay.jpg

Has anyone seen an additional case before.  I'm assuming that's what it is. 

29 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Not sure yet. 

Has anyone seen an additional case before.  I'm assuming that's what it is. 

Pair case pocket watches have been around for hundreds of years. Is this just a standard outer case for any pocket watch of this size to provide extra protection on the battle field. 

43 minutes ago, rehajm said:

WW2 General service time piece ( trade pattern ) mil spec watch.

17 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Pair case pocket watches have been around for hundreds of years. Is this just a standard outer case for any pocket watch of this size to provide extra protection on the battle field. 

WW2 General service time piece ( trade pattern ) mil spec watch.

Yes, I think it's just a standard outer case for extra protection.  I  didn't help much looking at the dial.  Hehe. 

13 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Yes, I think it's just a standard outer case for extra protection.  I  didn't help much looking at the dial.  Hehe. 

The outer case use was maybe a provoked idea after the dial was damaged. Poor thing, still nice though and a cracking piece of history. If it could only talk eh. 

18 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

£25 for both and a Smiths Empire.  Not bad, I think. 

I think thats pretty good. Dont expect a lot from the Empire, the low jewel count usually indicates some worn pivots and pivot holes and they were often wrist worn to death. But you might be lucky. Here is my GSTP Frencha with a Buser 105 movement inside. The staff has a broken pivot and I managed to find a packet of 2 in a cheap job lot 4 weeks ago. I have 2 goes at getting it right, putting it off for the time being, strange things happen when i ticker with a watch that has a lot of history. This one has already twisted my melon once when i first opened it up last year. Annnnyway. Here is its Military serial number on the back, and broad arrow with an S stamped through that indicates it was decommissioned and sold possibly to its owner ( dont ask me how but i think i have his name 🤷‍♂️ ) Moving swiftly on, Buser became part of the well respect MSR group in 1961 that included Phenix , Revue and Vulcain that made good quality timepieces. And looking inside this is no exception and still in good condition.The crystal is battered and i took a bit of a risk on the dial but it is perfect.

16813076240172773242844134379601.jpg

16813076474905091610414731543216.jpg

16813078831834775775356670632459.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I think thats pretty good. Dont expect a lot from the Empire, the low jewel count usually indicates some worn pivots and pivot holes and they were often wrist worn to death. But you might be lucky. Here is my GSTP Frencha with a Buser 105 movement inside. The staff has a broken pivot and I managed to find a packet of 2 in a cheap job lot 4 weeks ago. I have 2 goes at getting it right, putting it off for the time being, strange things happen when i ticker with a watch that has a lot of history. This one has already twisted my melon once when i first opened it up last year. Annnnyway. Here is its Military serial number on the back, and broad arrow with an S stamped through that indicates it was decommissioned and sold possibly to its owner ( dont ask me how but i think i have his name 🤷‍♂️ ) Moving swiftly on, Buser became part of the well respect MSR group in 1961 that included Phenix , Revue and Vulcain that made good quality timepieces. And looking inside this is no exception and still in good condition.The crystal is battered and i took a bit of a risk on the dial but it is perfect.

16813076240172773242844134379601.jpg

16813076474905091610414731543216.jpg

16813078831834775775356670632459.jpg

Nice, the Cyma isn't running. Probably the same problem.  I'll update everyone when I receive it. 

Just now, RichardHarris123 said:

Nice, the Cyma isn't running. Probably the same problem.  I'll update everyone when I receive it. 

I wasn't really interested in the Smiths. 

• Like 1

Posted this up a good while back, but seeing as it fits in well and with some good History . Here is my Nato redialled Record DD, inside a 022K. Also has a broken staff pivot but i have around 20 of these. The serial number on the dial is designated specifically to Record, other brand redials will have different serial numbers . Redialled i would guess as a matter of routine service when called into army stores and to decommission the radium lumed dials. Serial number beginning with the letter L as assigned to the Record company. As most will know the Dirty Dozen watch was nick named after the film. So called as the British military approached 12 Swiss watch companies ( there is currently a british company called Vertex making the Vertex DD with some kind of dubious family connection imo but marketing stories sell, just look at the Daniel Wellington name crock of shite )with the task of making their mill spec watches. Look for the WWW stamp on the back. Wrist Watch Waterproof. These 12  companies in alphabetical order as i remember them easier this way. Buren. Cyma. Eterna. Grana. IWC. JLC. Lemania. Longines. Omega. Record. Timor. Vertex. In actual fact as part of the story as i read it Enicar was also approached but dropped out for whatever reason. All are worth a few bob but the Grana is the one to really  look out for. Out of the approximate  250,000 DDs that were made the Grana (KF or KFG ) had an estimated manufacture of 1000 to 5000 ( not sure if anyone actually knows ) Coincidentally i do have 100 balance staffs for the Grana DD half fixed jewel half shock jewel.  Great i have 100 staffs that will likely never be wanted 🙄

20230412_150147.jpg

16813108459164345309576283178692.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I wasn't really interested in the Smiths. 

They are indeed an economical movement or as we say in the South...crap. No stud screw is the worst of it...I will say as fiddly and pointless as they are as restorations I gained considerable practice with the staking set and a sense of accomplishment when my repaired sweep second Empire hugged zero on the tg. Also, Americans don't know much of the brand so Empire is to Everest is to Astral. My newly reborn Empire held court with its loud tick one cocktail hour while the GMTs and Panerais barely warranted attention.

Offer it on the EBay to the yanks, I say...

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, rehajm said:

They are indeed an economical movement or as we say in the South...crap. No stud screw is the worst of it...I will say as fiddly and pointless as they are as restorations I gained considerable practice with the staking set and a sense of accomplishment when my repaired sweep second Empire hugged zero on the tg. Also, Americans don't know much of the brand so Empire is to Everest is to Astral. My newly reborn Empire held court with its loud tick one cocktail hour while the GMTs and Panerais barely warranted attention.

Offer it on the EBay to the yanks, I say...

An Empire was my first success, yes sounds like galloping horses.  I'm keeping that one but this will be resold. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting little watch. The import code has been scratched out. Ipekdijian Bros Ltd somewhat crudely engraved. They are a diamond merchant or jeweler incorporated in NY in 1941. I haven't found a manufacturer caliber number yet. Runs very well. The back was on extremely tight. Dial has some scratches. Needs a new crystal. It was running at the time I snapped the photo, just caught it at the right time!2045984911_DSCN52102.thumb.JPG.64cd32505c869cd9a2ec79720d776c6c.JPG558262625_DSCN52092.thumb.JPG.211d0c8000bf929a5e2bbc31d0f857f8.JPG

Edited by Razz
Typos
  • Like 2

I don't own these, but I did service both of them recently for a couple of veterans I met through a local (non-watch related) group that we all belong to.

First is a Benrus GG-W-113 US contract pilots watch from July 1971.  It was issued to it's owner when he deployed to Vietnam, and then he later had it with him when he went to Libya.

image.thumb.png.1f89e9406a5a4a5e785a6396dd92d91f.png

image.png.384aa830cb1828d93614e2be7ad1a962.png

The second is a 1961 Bulova Type A17A military issue navigation watch.  It's original owner was in the US Air Force, and it was re-issued to him in 1966.  The original strap had long since deteriorated, and I was lucky enough to find an original NOS strap from the correct US military contract and I surprised him with his rebuilt watch on a NOS strap that was identical to what was on it when he first got the watch.

image.thumb.png.db96aa0f26b0a3616df8110dd48c2022.png

image.png.ff17d349755e11677497736d0ffd4541.png

image.png.c8e6b8fd563821aff1f98c102e80f769.png

I wish I owned these, but there was no way I would ever even ask to buy these from their owners.  They were the ones who put the scratches and dings in those watches, and clearly cherished the watches enough to hold on to them for several decades after they stopped running.  It was a pleasure to rebuild these watches.  I'd love to find some of my own, but I have larger wrists and these watches are quite small.  They just don't look very proportional on my wrist. 

Edited by thor447
  • Like 5

Not sure if you professional's would class this as a military watch.

I repaired this one. Beha watch with a Durowe movement.

The gentleman concerned had swapped a can of coffee for two of these in the 1950's in Germany. He kept one and his friend had the other. Stopped working over 20 years ago. Told could not be fixed. The hairspring was twisted around the innards of the watch. 

Disassembled, cleaned, oiled and a replacement balance complete fitted. The minute hand was broken so I had to replace it with a new one. Returned two month ago. I received a wonderful letter from the gentleman, 80+.

IMG_20230118_172541.jpg

IMG_20230118_233203.jpg

IMG_20230121_121628.jpg

IMG_20230212_112130.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar. spelling.
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Not sure if you professional's would class this as a military watch.

I repaired this one. Beha watch with a Durowe movement.

The gentleman concerned had swapped a can of coffee for two of these in the 1950's in Germany. He kept one and his friend had the other. Stopped working over 20 years ago. Told could not be fixed. The hairspring was twisted around the innards of the watch. 

Disassembled, cleaned, oiled and a replacement balance complete fitted. The minute hand was broken so I had to replace it with a new one. Returned two month ago. I received a wonderful letter from the gentleman, 80+.

IMG_20230118_172541.jpg

IMG_20230118_233203.jpg

IMG_20230121_121628.jpg

IMG_20230212_112130.jpg

Ross bloody brilliant matey you should be well proud of that one especially after the suggestion that it could not be fixed. The smile on the old boy's face must have been priceless and now he can pass that down to his family. I love stories like this, you've just brought a tear to my eyes. My reputation as a tough guy is now diminished, good job I'm on my own 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1