I'm trying to find a replacement crystal for a Mido Multifort automatic (seems from the 40's or 50's). The crystal is rather crazed, so no saving it. It looks like there is a bit of a lip around the edge of it.

The current crystal measures 24.12 mm in diameter. The bezel measures 24.0 mm inside diameter.  It is about 2.5 mm for the inside height. It was friction fit into the case, quite snugly.

If I look at the G-S catalog, it seems that PA-260 and PA-285-5 are my choices at 24.1 mm.  PA-285-5 seems closer to the dome shape as the current crystal.  Does that seem right?

If I look at the Cousins website, I'm not sure if this would be considered high dome or low dome.  If I look at the Sternkreuz "HWS" Glass Dome Heights pdf file on the site, the internal height matches up for the diameter range this crystal is in.  So, maybe high dome?  HWS is "high dome with step", so is that lip I see around the existing crystal considered a step?  If so, then HWS242 would seem to be the one to order.  Does that seem right?

20230403_130526.jpg

20230403_130634.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@gpraceman, a post I made a little while ago may help you a bit: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/25000-tension-ring-crystal-nuance/

If you scroll through the post, I eventually get around to comparing two Sternkreuz crystals I purchased from Cousins (standard and high-dome).  With only that comparison as a reference, the crystal in your photo looks more 'standard' than 'high-dome' to me.

Please let us know how things work out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickTock said:

@gpraceman, a post I made a little while ago may help you a bit: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/25000-tension-ring-crystal-nuance/

If you scroll through the post, I eventually get around to comparing two Sternkreuz crystals I purchased from Cousins (standard and high-dome).  With only that comparison as a reference, the crystal in your photo looks more 'standard' than 'high-dome' to me.

Please let us know how things work out.

Hard to tell the difference to me visually between those two.  They look more bubble like than the old crystal.

I ordered the high dome with step, as it seemed like the high dome was the appropriate internal height for the diameter of the crystal from the reference PDF file.  Should know within a couple of days, as it looks like my order made it into the US and through customs.

• Like 1

I have a couple other links for finding crystals. The second one is interesting because they have a crystal catalog online and you can do a search. Or you could probably just email and ask if they know which crystal goes your watch.

then the first link somebody selling crystals and its search feature is searching for mido they gives you a listing with all the pictures actually quite nice.

On 4/4/2023 at 8:53 PM, gpraceman said:

If I look at the G-S catalog, it seems that PA-260 and PA-285-5 are my choices at 24.1 mm.  PA-285-5 seems closer to the dome shape as the current crystal.  Does that seem right?

then the problem with the PA crystals when you look at the catalog are there for specific cases. Which those numbers do not correspond to the manufacturer you're looking for.

https://tiptopcrystals.com/

https://www.gssupplies.com/crystal-catalogs/

Edited by JohnR725
  • Thanks 2

Esslinger sells GS crystals.  What I find is that I end up buying several crystals and use the one that fits.

When the opportunity arises, I buy crystal lots.  Seems inefficient, but I have probably fitted a dozen crystals from those lots.  You figure $20 for a crystal (not unusual given the tax and shipping), that is $240.  Probably what I have invested more or less.  For pocket watches, I have a zillion crystals that I essentially got for free.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

What I find is that I end up buying several crystals and use the one that fits.

what I find interesting with this is the local material house she would actually prefer to fit the crystal for you versus giving you the crystal. as because she found there's variations in the crystal size versus the package. So if you would get her really close to what you need she could then pull it out and fitted for you and then you'd know that it actually fits. I can't remember the conversation exactly but I think it's basically a lot of the dies for making the crystals are getting old there may be some variation perhaps.

7 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

When the opportunity arises, I buy crystal lots.  Seems inefficient, but I have probably fitted a dozen crystals from those lots.

these particular crystal lots you want to narrow down what you're looking at? The reason I ask is local a someone who bought out of material house gave a lecture on crystals and was explaining how at one time the mad crystal the month club. Some firm would sell you X quantity crystals per month so you can build up a big assortment. But the problem is and even with GS crystals of you look at how many crystals in the catalog and start to figure out how many crystals you're going to use you can end up the same as this person did with literally thousands of crystals that you're probably never ever going to use.

This sort of thing shows up at the nawcc regional meetings were someone will have a crystal Is a lot of money for it. on the grounds that each crystals worth this much money the cabinet must be worth thousands of thousands of dollars. Then we have to explain that yes if you purchase them all brand-new year absolute right but these of leftover crystals it never got sold so basically is almost worthless.

Which is why sometimes on eBay as you pointed out you buy lots of crystals. I know someone was doing To get specialty crystals for specific vintage watches were the crystals are readily available. I remember one time someone was selling mainspring lots side purchase those. That is when the big Swiss mainspring manufacturers said they were the manufacture all these mainsprings anymore and that I came the realization of there's a heck of a lot a mainsprings out there that I will probably never use in my lifetime so lots of things are only worth the money if you get money out of them and my understanding on Crystal lots you can have a lot of crystals and never use any of them. On the other hand if you manage to choose wisely with your Crystal lots then you're going to do well.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2023 at 7:42 PM, JohnR725 said:

I have a couple other links for finding crystals.

This was very helpful thanks.  I was about to put up a new post but did a search first and found this thread.  I just purchased a couple of watches off eBay and at least one of them will need a new crystal - which will be my first time changing one out.  The only thing that concerns me is that I don't have a crystal press, which I assume is only usable on acrylic ones anyway. 

Can a press fit o-ring (gasket) sealed crystal can be installed by hand?  I know they can be pushed out by hand but what about re-fitting?  Is it a special tool only kinda job?

The Esslinger crystal sizing video on YouTube was also helpful.

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

No. Not reliably.

OK... there's another too to add to the list! 🙂 

However (i'm new to this), I did buy a case back press which when I look at the eBay ad it actually says Case back, bezel, crystal press.  Can this do the job?  I hadn't cosnidered that before because of the original reason I bought it.  It's this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/385341654751

Update (so soon too...)..... I found this which categorically answered my question!

• Like 1

My luck on sourcing crystals so far is not great on my first try.  While I got one that fit a watch, it isn't of the same profile.  I could live with it, but likely I'll just order another crystal.  For another watch, I managed to order an armored crystal instead of a regular one.  Besides, the ring is the wrong color for the watch.

3 hours ago, Jonno65 said:

OK... there's another too to add to the list! 🙂 

However (i'm new to this), I did buy a case back press which when I look at the eBay ad it actually says Case back, bezel, crystal press.  Can this do the job?  I hadn't cosnidered that before because of the original reason I bought it.  It's this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/385341654751

I have that same press.  Mine had a binding issue and minor alignment issue.  I had to tear it down to fix these.  With these cheap options, you may need to do some work on them to get them to work as expected.  It's worked fine for the couple of times that I needed it so far.

Edited by gpraceman
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm crystal hunting to replace one on a first real refurbish project.  I went to the Tip Top Crystals page but cannot find a link to add to the cart...  The GS supplies is only catalogs not an online store...  Esslinger allows me to  order.  Cousinsuk doesn't seem to have the type/size I need.

I have popped out the old one (has a crack in it) and measured it at 26.26mm.  The case dia where the srystal fits is 26.25mm so I assume the crystal has shrunk a bit being plastic and old.  I will order a 26.3mm and a 26.4mm replacement.  Would you agree?

The only thing I wanted to clarify is the style.  I think it is a PK - Low Dome.  Refer the pic below of the crystal.

Thoughts? 

Crystal.jpg

7 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I think each mfg. has different profiles. This may not be a GS crystal. I suggest you buy several styles and pick the one you like. I prolly have some PK crystals...will post a picture later if I do.

That would be fanstic  - thanks 🙂 

5 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

PHD

to make it look like the standard ordinary round crystal in other words PhD. Which used to be standard but now with all these glass sapphire and other crystals may not be standard anymore. At work somebody came in with a watch needing what look like a PhD crystal and they were a bit bewildered as to whether they could even get the crystal or not. Because they're so used to putting the last C and all day long or sapphire