Identifying pocket chronograph quarter repeater

Hello,

Occasionally I nosey at existing project watches and movements. Eventually it would be nice to try getting this going - at a casual look I suspect it has a problem with the escape wheel.

I'd like to get a better idea how complete the repeater work is, and what might be missing. Identifying the maker might help.

The dial is unsigned, it looks unsigned under the hammers, and there's no obvious logo anywhere. The motion work is partially removed but it's otherwise as-found.

Thank you

Jonathan 

IMG_20230328_125942.jpg

IMG_20230328_125648.jpg

IMG_20230328_125750.jpg

I should probably add, the chronograph is incomplete, but much less of an issue.

27 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Wow, cool watch. Do you have the case or just the movement?  What does the script say above the cross, I can't make it out?

Depose, it tells us of something registered with the movement . The cross is usually accompanied by the   word Brevet which means patent. So something about this movement's design has a registered patent as opposed to before its registered a patent pending. There may be a serial number to go with it that can be looked up to find out what that design is.

10 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Depose, it tells us of something registered with the movement . The cross is usually accompanied by the   word Brevet which means patent. So something about this movement's design has a registered patent as opposed to before its registered a patent pending. There may be a serial number to go with it that can be looked up to find out what that design is.

Ah another look didn't notice the US patent date. At least we know the watch is no older than 1882. Registered in the U S yet the mark and french for patent, i wonder how that works ?

• Like 1

Unfortunately there's no case.. the movement is huge so I suspect it would have been gold. I bought it from an Argentinian eBay seller a couple of years ago.

Interestingly (to me at least), the unsigned dial originally had feet, but now stays fitted with a friction fit ring on the back out it.. so I wonder if it was an ebauche intended for some slightly different repeating work, or whether it's just a tidy re-dial.

After some time.. partly because I was initially trying to match hairspring studs to find the maker, I found a very good match, A Lugrin 🙂

The patent date is the giveaway, and curiously, while there were a couple of Lugrin's in history, one of them was responsible for a patent used by a couple of makers, including on the Waltham pocket chronograph watch. I believe this movement was made by the Lugrin which became Lemania.

(I hope I'm alright linking to another forum)

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/adolf-lugrin-minute-repeater.99313/