Pocket watch case needs work - any suggestions?

DanB

This was my grandfather's Waltham, made about 1911. It's a 14K case. The bezel has been bent right (it's been that way for a long time) where one would push the top of the case closed. What this means is the crystal doesn't fit properly so that it be glued down properly. The 14K metal is pretty soft, but I'm reluctant to try to fix it myself since I don't have the tools or experience with this kind of work. If anyone thinks there is a relatively easy fix, please let me know. If not, do you know of a pocket watch case restorer who could tackle something like this? Photos below, and in one it's easy to see the gap between the crystal and the bezel. Thanks! 

Full view, open.jpg

Crystal gap.jpg

Front, closed.jpg

That case has seen very little action, yes?Do you have photos of the movement? Know which model?

Here’s what’s coming soon to me for repair-  owned by a friend who lives in Waltham- once owned by ancestors who worked in the factory…

4B934328-2B9B-4148-A495-9AA92398FDB1.jpeg

94863E70-A166-4B5C-ACB3-465EB884C61E.jpeg

7F161329-7575-4B4A-A599-D7FF9BEBE62F.jpeg

1E750624-CDD4-4ADF-B1B5-1F5C81C58BF7.jpeg

Edited by rehajm

The case is in very good condition as is the movement, which was professionally serviced about 6 years ago (I was not ready to tackle it at that time). Runs pretty accurately with strong amplitude and low beat error. Here's the info on it:

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/18128661

I'll see if there's a jeweler near me who can tackle this. They will have to know how to remove the movement from the case and then re-cement the crystal. Or I suppose I can remove the movement and crystal myself and let the jeweler tackle the bezel. I don't use the watch, just rev it up now and then, so in that sense it truly is an heirloom, but it would be great to get it into tip top shape.

Movement.jpg

6 hours ago, DanB said:

I'll see if there's a jeweler near me who can tackle this. They will have to know how to remove the movement from the case and then re-cement the crystal.

Typically the watchmaker is supposed to remove the watch and any watch related components as jewelers are typically Not watchmakers. Just as watchmakers typically don't do jewelry work.

16 hours ago, DanB said:

it's easy to see the gap between the crystal and the bezel.

Are you sure that just isn't the result of a poorly fit crystal? Fitting the really thin crystals in these cases can be a interesting thing to do.