Home Made Watch Parts Cleaning Machine

WIN_20230320_21_54_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.b3a952ed51e65ffd48632ae4feb1b07b.jpgWIN_20230320_21_54_21_Pro.thumb.jpg.aa832bf2d22d8d0bf4d46929ba43252a.jpgWIN_20230320_21_55_36_Pro.thumb.jpg.bf5f61a43cf4f6ab3b4f67809414fa88.jpg

This is my home made, self designed six stage cleaning system plus a clean jar with some absorbent paper in the bottom to blow dry the basket for 10 mins.

I could have used an inexpensive drill press holder instead of making the drill stand but they seem to be all on back order. I made the carousel from three layers of 3/8" particle board laminated together. I used some rubber shelf liner material in the bottom of the holes so the jars would grip. I bought an inexpensive 3/8" drill that reverses and I just spin the basket one way for about ten seconds and then reverse the agitation. I do a 2 min detergent wash in a warm water based degreaser (modern non toxic non flamable eco friendly that I've used to clean paint brushes) or non water based ZEP 505, a spin out and three stages of IPA rinse, a final spin out then under the blow dry for 10 mins.

This was my beta prototype but it works so well that I didn't bother to "pretty it up". I've serviced two dozen watches with it in the last two months and it has help me bring some DOA's back to life.

I don't spin train wheels for fear I could snap off pivots and I also clean the pallet fork and balance separately in something hexane based.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1