Polishing Setup

DJT2

Hi guys, I've been looking for ages at getting a Polishing machine & I've just come across this. I'm probably opening a can of worms by giving the link as I'm sure others may jump all over it. So please, please don't bid. However, I'd love your opinions. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=252034854605&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It's the real deal if you are going to be doing heavy duty case refinishing on a regular basis. You could do a lot of good work, and damage, very quickly with it.

I certainly won't be bidding, as I do all my case refinishing by hand, and just the occasional touch with a Dremel.

A Polishing machine is nice, and works well on really gold watch cases and jewellery. For refinshing watches i would recommend getting a Foredom TX300 Jewelers Kit, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foredom-TX-300-Hi-Torque-Flex-Shaft-Kit-/330883038562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0a2a7d62

With this you can do nearly anything you would ever need for refinshing or repairing watch cases, incudling adding satin finsh, sanding out any straches, drilling, riveting watch pins and hand polishing.

It's the real deal if you are going to be doing heavy duty case refinishing on a regular basis. You could do a lot of good work, and damage, very quickly with it.

I certainly won't be bidding, as I do all my case refinishing by hand, and just the occasional touch with a Dremel.

+1

+1

Hi Geo & Frenchie, I realise you guys apprehension to recommending such an industrial commercial machine to a complete novice like myself. After all, I have never ever touched a Polishing wheel in my life. I understand if not used correctly I could cause some real damage, but on the flipside.. With practice, practice, practice & alot of respect for the machinery. Intime (over yrs) it would become a real kick **BLEEP** skill to learn.

Although, I'd love learn all the aspects of watch horology. Including, lathes & machining parts etc. But I have to be realistic. I live in nice apartment over looking the Estuary in Lytham (no garage) . My kind wife has given me a mancave room & she would not appreciate me turning it into a metal shop. Therefore, I'll have to curtail my dreams/ aspirations & fucus on the areas of this hobby that would give me the most satisfaction & overtime I could become quite proficient at. Hey, it may take me the rest of my life to produce a professionally refinished watch case. But at least I'll die happy & trying

That's a nice bit of kit, but you would have to be a serious user for it to make sense. £270 is a lot for a machine you may only use infrequently.

The options suggested by the other guys makes more sense to me and it wouldn't hog as much space in your man cave.

This is my setup for machine polishing, and I rarely use the big one for watches.

post-1141-0-88543700-1437789472_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The polishing machine I had was similar to this old boy. As long as you have the right compounds and polishing brushes and you understand what there for and you take your time (you don't need to use it flat out) you should be alright. There are a few polishing tutorials on youtube that you might like to look at. This is just my opinion but what you have your eye on I think it is far too big for watch case work.  

post-1154-0-78679800-1437809602.jpg

That's a nice bit of kit, but you would have to be a serious user for it to make sense. £270 is a lot for a machine you may only use infrequently.

The options suggested by the other guys makes more sense to me and it wouldn't hog as much space in your man cave.

This is my setup for machine polishing, and I rarely use the big one for watches.

attachicon.gifWPE.JPG

The polishing machine I had was similar to this old boy. As long as you have the right compounds and polishing brushes and you understand what there for and you take your time (you don't need to use it flat out) you should be alright. There are a few polishing tutorials on youtube that you might like to look at. This is just my opinion but what you have your eye on I think it is far too big for watch case work.

Thanks guys for comments, I realise it's a bit of overkill. My problem is that without a garage or outdoor space I'm stuck to converting a room in our apartment for my man cave. Therefore, what ever I chose needs to have its own ventilation system.