Hello,

I'm trying to remove the back from an old Bentima Star, and can't locate any kind of notch to give even a hint of purchase. However, there does appear to be a 'notch' on the side of the case opposite the winder (see pictures).  Is it possible that the movement should be accessed by prying the case apart here rather than by removing the back?

(Sorry if this is a naive question; as you may have guessed I'm just starting out.)

Any thoughts appreciated

John

IMG_20220712_004514350.jpg

IMG_20220712_004602138.jpg

IMG_20220712_004537114e.jpg

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I have seen photos with the back removed,

It would be helpful if we could see those pictures.

Then you look at the watch notice how the dial side appears to be larger in diameter than the case back? Then the only way that you can open the case appears to be a notch that would remove the front of the watch. Which means this would be a watch that goes out the front side. Then we just have to determine how the crown comes out if that is the case. Typically there a split stem and they can pull apart but there are some cases where that does not work and you could actually damage the split mechanism. So it's usually best to see if it is or frontloading watch to remove the front and see if there's any way to get the crowd out with its stem first and then you could try pulling it out.

On 3/14/2023 at 5:26 PM, John123 said:

Bentima Star,

Interesting name for googling as I don't even have to specify watch and everything that comes up is for watches. Then I did see pictures with the back off but it appears to be it's in a whole bunch of different kinds of cases. Unfortunately people of taken aback soft don't show the backside just the inside. Someone look like they're probably pry off back's but they're bigger than yours and one of looks like it's definitely a screw off back. Didn't see any case is a part that look like yours I would start by prying the front off and see what that gets you worst case you can always put it back on again.

Seeing as how as I said it appears to be the front is bigger than the back to even if you did take the back off you could never get the movement out if the front is indeed bigger

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I have seen photos with the back removed, so I think Iit must come off. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you for sure. 

On 3/15/2023 at 12:26 AM, John123 said:

Hello,

I'm trying to remove the back from an old Bentima Star, and can't locate any kind of notch to give even a hint of purchase. However, there does appear to be a 'notch' on the side of the case opposite the winder (see pictures).  Is it possible that the movement should be accessed by prying the case apart here rather than by removing the back?

(Sorry if this is a naive question; as you may have guessed I'm just starting out.)

Any thoughts appreciated

John

IMG_20220712_004514350.jpg

IMG_20220712_004602138.jpg

IMG_20220712_004537114e.jpg

Eyup John, i have a Bentima star at home. From memory the back does come off as well as the bezel. With the back removed the stem can be released and the movement comes out of the front after removing the two movement securing screws. As JohnR725 says if the dial is bigger than the case back then the movement should come out of the front side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Richard, John and neverenough for your comments and suggestions, and sorry for the slow reply - life got busy. 

From what you say, and since the watch back has pretty much defeated me, I think I'll have a go at opening the front and see where that gets me.  Will report back with any progress.

Cheers,

John

• Like 1