Iwc Fa Jones In For Repair - Can You Spot The Fault!

To my naive and amateir eye, the crown appears to be too far out - winder fault?

If it's not that, I'm stumped!

Good observation - but the fault is there wether the crown is out or in.

Clue: However, you are sort of close.

Hmm,

Looking at the picture of the movement and comparing it to one I found on IWC's website forum the incabloc holder looks very different to the one on the IWC website, have a look. They are the same caliber numbers. I know nothing about these things but that's the only thing I can tell that is different.

http://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/27369/

Some of the coils of the hairspring look like the have some oil between them, or is that just an aberration of the photograph?

The click spring does look odd, but the click itself has an unusual sliding movement and without seeing it in action I'm not totally convinced that it is wrong.

BTW, is that a hack set movement? I noticed the gold arm resting against the balance wheel...

OK Don, you are the closest :D

Notice the hack is not touching the balance timing screws (the crown is out), but rather, it has wedged itself on top of a balance screw somehow. So this watch was at a dead stop as a result.

Luckily there is no damage - I have released it from the balance and it functions as normal.

Oh and Mark, Would love to see a service video of this one! 

It's a given - I will definitely film this one. It's the first one I have had so I am going to enjoy this :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

do you not stop the second wheel at the top of its dial before fitting the minute hand?

Not really needed, you can do that when setting the time with the crown later ;)

That's a lovely video, Mark - fascinating as ever. And what a wonderful movement - a real feast for the eye!

One question: What's the logic of having the setting lever screwed in from the opposite side of the movement, rather than from the top of the setting lever? Always wondered...

I'm sure some of you guys have seen these before for sale on eBay etc., but here is a picture of a modified 6498 or ST36 movement I have that was made in China. I bought the watch that carried this movement about 6 years ago. Most-likely is was produced for the counterfeit watch market because I've seen these in "Replica" F.A. Jones models as well...

post-90-0-83708800-1400586562_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJW

Mark, I'm positive you are very good at what you do and are perfectly confident in your abilities as a watchmaker, but do you ever get nervous working on higher end watches? Just curious!

Mark, I'm positive you are very good at what you do and are perfectly confident in your abilities as a watchmaker, but do you ever get nervous working on higher end watches? Just curious!

There are some watches I will not take on. I prefer to work on bread and butter work so with this in mind I am usually quite confident. With watches like this in particular there is the display back, so you have to take particular care not to scratch anything (just as is the case with your watches Don) so it's not so much being nervous, but rather I always slow down and take even more extreme care when working on a watch I am not so familiar with.

In all honesty, if I am worried about a job in any way I would rather not take the job on in the first place (and I do turn down work from time to time) because life is too short :)

• Like 1

I fair enjoyed the video Mark, excellent presentation as usual. :-)

What a beautiful yet very simple movement. It's good to see real quality!

Thanks Geo :)

That's a lovely video, Mark - fascinating as ever. And what a wonderful movement - a real feast for the eye!

One question: What's the logic of having the setting lever screwed in from the opposite side of the movement, rather than from the top of the setting lever? Always wondered...

Thanks Will.

When you remove a watch back the setting lever screw is on the under-side so that you can loosen the setting lever and remove the crown and stem, this would be impossible if the screw was on the other side, effectively under the dial.

Remember that in order to remove the movement from a case in many watches the crown and stem has to be removed.

That IWC is a very nice watch indeed and so it should be for £5,500 ish.  Your video and your workmanship are, as usual,  superb and thanks for going to all the trouble for us mere mortals.  I am still very puzzled over how you have the camera set-up, it looks to me as though you are working through the camera screen. If you ever get the chance would it be possible for someone to take a picture of you in action,  as all would be revealed then.  You can pixelate out all the bits you do not want the world to see and you can call yourself Mr X. 

• Like 1