Bitten by the watchbug

peroxo

Hello, this is Dominik from Germany. My horology genes were always there but were activated a few years ago. It all started when the family clock, which my grandmother passed on to me, lost the minute hand. I brought the clock to a watchmaker who serviced and restored it. I was curious about the mechanism and - as the scientist that I am - I started reading lots of books about clocks and watches. Around this time I bought my first mechanical watch, then a second and a third... - you know the diagnosis: the watchbug had caught me. I wanted to learn how to repair those lovely vintage watches and beautiful old clocks. I was happy when I found "watchrepairlessons", as it was called that time, and started those excellent courses. I was even more lucky that I got in contact with a watchmaker, who lives in my town and masters this craft for 40 years. We became friends and he still shares his enormous knowledge at least on a weekly basis with me. I couldn't think of two better teachers than Mark Lovick and Holger. I love repairing and restoring vintage watches (mainly of the 1960s and 70s) and clocks (particularly of the art nouveau age). You cannot compare this feeling when a movement, which was oily, rusty, broken, or whatnot, starts ticking again! However, with every new old watch on my desk usually another issue arises that needs to be solved. This place is great to get answers and insights - thank you a lot for all the help I already received in this forum. And if some day I could give a hint to solve a problem of another watchbugbitten fellow I'd be really happy.

• Like 1