Another Newbie onboard

w30bob

Hi Guys,

Got into watch collecting a few months ago and now have too many watches to count.  I did what I guess is normal for newbies......watched the YouTube videos, bought a bunch of newer watches to find out what kind I really wanted to collect......and then realized they're all pretty much the same Chinese parts with older Seiko or Miyota movements arranged in all possible combinations with Craft watchmakers names attached.  How boring.  Then I bought an old vintage watch and the light went off in my head.  I like vintage!  So many choices and they don't break the bank............what's not to like!  

I joined a bunch of watch collector forums only to find out most of those guys don't even know how to remove the case back, never mind service or restore their watches.  Again, how boring.  So I kept looking and finally found this forum.  This looks like a bunch of guys who aren't afraid to get dirty and bring old soldiers back to life and keep them running!  Looking forward to learning a lot from you guys.  Here goes nothing..............................

;O)

bob

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. You will find it’s a rabbit hole more watches more tools ,no more money. It’s too easy dragged in just keep your head buy what you can afford and build up slowly,  buy the best tools you can afford but don’t skimp on tweezers and screwdrivers these are the main ones. There are tweezers by Dumont good but expensive. Midrange A*F, Venus, and French screwdrivers will suffice to start. Then as skills develop so do the tools.   All the best

• Like 1