Dial Feet Milling tool, Replacement Blades

I have a dial feet milling tool (similar to the picture below) and need a replacement blade, the point has broken off causing the blade to wander around when trying to mill a recess for the new dial feet - I have looked around, but the replacement blades are almost the same cost as the complete tool. Does anyone know where I can get the blades at a reasonable price?

dial-feet-tool-64.518__89237.jpg

2 hours ago, Waggy said:

I have a dial feet milling tool (similar to the picture below) and need a replacement blade, the point has broken off causing the blade to wander around when trying to mill a recess for the new dial feet - I have looked around, but the replacement blades are almost the same cost as the complete tool. Does anyone know where I can get the blades at a reasonable price?

Eyup waggy. You've just confirmed my main reason for not buying one of these. It would need to come with spares if i did. I've chosen to go down the soldering route. It might be possible to sharpen the blades back enough to create another starting tip. I do this occasionally with wood spade bits when the edge dulls. Besides this how did you find using it, was it accurate enough ? Did you sometimes need to trim the sides of the feet to fit into the mainplate?  

Hi NEW. If you want to build a dial foot machine they are quite simple and very effective,  I built my own using a battery charger for the power source as it had over current protection it does a good job.  I will dig out the plans. Or if you look at the NAWCC.  Of AWCI the creator of the machine was Wesley R Door. Look him up.

• Like 2

My tool was a Chinese knock off, so the point broke quite quickly, I was just starting to practice with the tool, so I can't realy judge if this type of tool is the best option for me. However, I think it is probably the best compromise between dial dots and a soldering machine, which the former is a poor choice especially when you have a day date complication and the latter would be overkill for the small amount of dials I have to do.

22 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi NEW. If you want to build a dial foot machine they are quite simple and very effective,  I built my own using a battery charger for the power source as it had over current protection it does a good job.  I will dig out the plans. Or if you look at the NAWCC.  Of AWCI the creator of the machine was Wesley R Door. Look him up.

Hi WW thank you, i would be interested, I dont know much about electronics though.  I would like both options of an electrical powered machine but also want to experiment with a flame torch for a comparison.  Just something i haven't got around to as yet. Lots of scrap dials to practise on and also a rebuild of an Oris pointer that has a broken dial foot. I do have a couple of dc power sources,  one of which will produce 36 volts with a good amp range. Recent seen these on ebay,but not sure how they work. The first sold last week for 35 quid which i forgot to watch , the second is up at £550 😲

Screenshot_20230306-105246_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230306-105419_eBay.jpg

33 minutes ago, Waggy said:

My tool was a Chinese knock off, so the point broke quite quickly, I was just starting to practice with the tool, so I can't realy judge if this type of tool is the best option for me. However, I think it is probably the best compromise between dial dots and a soldering machine, which the former is a poor choice especially when you have a day date complication and the latter would be overkill for the small amount of dials I have to do.

That was the first question that sprung to my mind, how long the cutter would last ? You might have just saved me 80 quid there waggy 👍. A swiss made counterpart probably much better quality but also much more expensive. Ive never liked the idea of sticking a dial on in any fashion. And as you say not possible with calendar works and always the chance of raising a dial too high. WW's suggestion is by far the best idea, but also has its risks until you have the technique perfected. Making something does sound simple enough, I'm guessing some trial and error to get the power supply just right to weld but not damage the dial face. Definitely worth experimenting with.

I came across a replacement blade for the dial feet repair tool on AliExpress. But is the price reasonable? 

SG$ 32.11 | Free Shipping Spare Blade for Watch Dial Feet Milling Tool
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKD5brY

I'm in the process of restoring an old dial feet soldering tool which my mentor gave me because he bought a fully automated version.

It is so simple that any anyone can build one themselves. It just uses a 12V lead acid battery, a motor speed controller and a carbon rod.

I'll post some photos when possible. My house is in a complete mess right now because I just retired and moved all the stuff that I want from my shop back home. There isn't any table space to do any serious work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I came across a replacement blade for the dial feet repair tool on AliExpress. But is the price reasonable? 

I'm in the process of restoring an old dial feet soldering tool which my mentor gave me because he bought a fully automated version.

It is so simple that any anyone can build one themselves. It just uses a 12V lead acid battery, a motor speed controller and a carbon rod.

I'll post some photos when possible. My house is in a complete mess right now because I just retired and moved all the stuff that I want from my shop back home. There isn't any table space to do any serious work.

I'm jealous, I wish I could retire. 

4 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I'm jealous, I wish I could retire. 

Having ended up involuntarily retired I have gone from “I’ll just get that, no sweat” to “damn that was the whole years watch fiddling budget” closely followed by “that is too good to miss at that price “ 😂🤪

Tom

• Like 2

The one Cousins sell for their dial feet cutter 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/dial-milling-tool-for-dial-feet

Fits the Chinese one shown in the first post.

The Aliexpress one is slightly cheaper and would probably arrive quicker as the OP is in the UAE.

Doubt there is much difference in the quality between both options.

Although I will say the Chinese one supplied with my tool didn't last long before the center point broke off but the Cousins replacement is still going strong.

Could be because it's better or because I am more careful with this one, or more experienced  😉

22 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Great feeling isn't it HectorLooi . I'm only halfway there but thoroughly enjoy the days off. 

8 hours ago, tomh207 said:

Having ended up involuntarily retired I have gone from “I’ll just get that, no sweat” to “damn that was the whole years watch fiddling budget” closely followed by “that is too good to miss at that price “ 😂🤪

Tom

I won't be able to retire until I'm pretty much dead, my pension is worth f££k all, oh well. Decided that I'm happy enough servicing and if more is required, tough, I don't have the tools.  Currently trolling the bottom end of ebay, if it's not in the 404 bracket then I don't buy it.  I don't have the time either.  Other hobbies and family commitments to consider. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Great feeling isn't it HectorLooi . I'm only halfway there but thoroughly enjoy the days off. 

It isn't all fun yet. I've got stuff all over the house at the moment. It's like the TV show "Hoarders". I've got my compressor and welding equipment out in my yard, polishing and grinding equipment in my spare room. Soldering and electronics stuff in another.

I guess I have too many hobbies.

3 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

It isn't all fun yet. I've got stuff all over the house at the moment. It's like the TV show "Hoarders". I've got my compressor and welding equipment out in my yard, polishing and grinding equipment in my spare room. Soldering and electronics stuff in another.

I guess I have too many hobbies.

But you have plenty of time now to organise it all , enjoy every moment its something you worked hard all your life for. 

I can sympathise Hector, too many Hobbies,  Fly fishing and fly tying, Gardening  Watch/clock repairs and all the stuff that comes with them. After 15 years retired still shuffling round stuff, Fishing rods etc, tying materials and vices, garden tools and greenhouse tools and pots, Watch/clock tools benches scrap watches and clocks ,never enough room

On 3/6/2023 at 7:52 AM, Waggy said:

Eyup waggy, i was browsing through cousins website when i came across these. Pearl drills , they look very similar to the dial feet mill. The smallest is 0.9mm though, maybe a little thick for some feet. 2.3mm shaft so would need to be set in a pin vice and used by hand. Or possibly fitted into a stake to be used in the mill or a staking set. Only around a fiver plus delivery each.

Screenshot_20230311-075045_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hello all,

I also have got a Chinese tool as shown in the beginning of this post. I have used with diferent results a couple of times. 

With two  brass dials it worked quite well, I could fit the feets for two dials just for training without much problems.

But when I tried to use in a dial made of aluminium I got some problems. Aluminium is softer than brass, so the center pin move away in the first turn and is difficult to get the feet in its exact place. Two times I had to correct the drilling position. And in one of the correction the central pin drilled out the full ticness of the dial and made a hole in the front. 

Unfortunately, this time it was a dial for a ongoing restauration, and the dial front is texturiced. Still don't know how I will repair it.

But this is not my question. 

I have read in the post about replacement blades for the tool. Mine is not yet damaged, but just in case I try to prepare for a replacement. I also would like  to try to adapt a pin vice head and use it for manual drilling with other drill bits.

But, I don't know how to disunsamble the actual one. I see it is inserted in the shaft and NOT screwed. It seam to be glued?. Could some one tell me how to unlock the actual blade?

On 3/6/2023 at 5:29 AM, watchweasol said:

It is from the book "Quartz Watch Retrofitting" by Wesley R Door. Available at the AWCI store. I will have to get a copy.

I have that same Chinese tool and find that the glue method did not work very well for me. I used epoxy instead of the glue supplied. I think that the best way is electronic "spot welding/soldering".

Edited by JackH