Reducing centre wheel endshake on Seiko - what do these instructions mean ?

I have a Seiko 2206 with too much endshake on the centre wheel, allowing it to touch the barrel (which itself has too much endshake, but I can't see how I can fix that).

I was going to push the top jewel down a tad, but a Seiko service sheet gives the following advice.

I don't understand what operation 2 is trying to achieve - 'Narrow the hole diameter'.
But then it tells you to push the jewel back to the same level as before !

Any ideas ?

image.png.3894566f6dd040a156ec3bb7760e9e1b.png

WIN_20230304_15_25_34_Pro.thumb.jpg.2f40ccb0322cc817ad36acd3ea416169.jpg

Hi Mikepilk   Have you got a full copy of the sheet the extract is from you could post as I would like to read it. Removing the jewel with a chisel (sounds harsh) closing the hole I understand but then inserting the jewel to the same height as it was seems counter productive.  To my simple mind altering the jewel position up/down alters the end shake closing the hole tightens a loose jewel.    cheers

11 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Mikepilk   Have you got a full copy of the sheet the extract is from you could post as I would like to read it. Removing the jewel with a chisel (sounds harsh) closing the hole I understand but then inserting the jewel to the same height as it was seems counter productive.  To my simple mind altering the jewel position up/down alters the end shake closing the hole tightens a loose jewel.    cheers

It's on page 6 of this Seiko 2205A.pdf

Why close the hole? It would mean you would probably break the jewel pushing it back in.

5 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Removing the jewel with a chisel (sounds harsh)

maybe something got lost in the translation.

12 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Have you got a full copy of the sheet the extract is from you could post as I would like to read it.

I'm attaching the 2206 which did not get attached above. You'll see it references the 2205. Then I'm attaching different versions the 2206 and 2205 as they have color ink here and there was the much larger file size maybe they'll be something somehow different.

Seiko 2206A.pdf 09. 2205A.pdf 10. 2206A.pdf

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

maybe something got lost in the translation.

I'm attaching the 2206 which did not get attached above. You'll see it references the 2205. Then I'm attaching different versions the 2206 and 2205 as they have color ink here and there was the much larger file size maybe they'll be something somehow different.

The 2206 refers to 2202 also, but it's only the 2205 which shows this technique

Thanks for the colour versions. 

Hi Mikepilk  from reading the text it seems that in such a case there is a need to pay attention to both the centre wheel and the barrel arbour as separate entities in order to correct the problem. Fitting the jewel at the same height is a bit odd, I think its a case doing each in turn to achieve the desired result

The diagram above is only showing how to reduce the center wheel shake by adjusting the center wheel bridge, not the barrel bridge. So 'narrowing the hole diameter and putting the jewel achieves nothing! 

The bottom pic shows you how to increase barrel arbor shake (how often is that needed?) by tapping with a hammer, but not how to reduce it.

As JohynR725 suggests, I think something was lost in translation. My partner is Japanese, so If I could find the original documents !

• Like 1