Beginners clocks

57 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Richard.  The center can is best left alone unless the pivot hole is worn then it needs removing using large levers as does the kidney cam(gathering pallet) to be correct.   A pair of levers or a puller, I use levers and have no problems.

Thanks, I've read that nitromors won't affect steel, is that true, if I leave the centre wheel and gathering pallet in place? 

Hi Richard  It will remove paints, varnish Lacquers from many surfaces, I have used it on steel, wood and brass with no problems but you mut clean it all off thoroughly. I use warm soapy water then dry well to remove all moisture once done clean the clock in the normal way.

• Thanks 1

Horolacq is what I always use on French Carriage Clock movements and cases. You need to get the clear, also a nice very fine paint artist brush flat style if possible. This stuff drys very quick, be careful not to handle parts with your fingers wear finger cots if you can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Harris MK1 clock mainspring winder is underway, photos to follow.  So far £0 but I may have to go mad and spend £20 to finish it. Hehe. 

What's the best way of cleaning the bottom/ dial side plate?  Terminology?  I usually use lighter fluid followed by IPA, it would cost a fortune, could I use petrol, followed by IPA? 

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

Do you mean the main plate behind the dial? If yes petrol will be fine. I hope you haven't wasted your money on that mainspring winder a good one is not cheap £20 my mind boggles. 

Might end up at £30, I'm going crazy.  Thanks for the help. 

15 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Might end up at £30, I'm going crazy.  Thanks for the help. 

What sort of mainspring winder have you bought for £20 as oldhippy says they are not cheap, have you got the capture rings for the mainspring with it, what make is it and did you buy it from ebay?

6 hours ago, Willow said:

What sort of mainspring winder have you bought for £20 as oldhippy says they are not cheap, have you got the capture rings for the mainspring with it, what make is it and did you buy it from ebay?

I'm making my own, I'll post pictures when finished. 

• Like 3

Ok, after the conversation about quality tools!!!! 

Not finished and very crude but it worked well. I attached the barrel to some wood with a plastic clip and held that in a  vise as a temporarymeasure.

The ratchet is removable and I can utilise different sizes of socket from the let down tool. 

20230331_132247.jpg

20230331_132254.jpg

20230331_140142.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Richard   well done I like the design simple yet effctive, what did you use for the retainer, it worked well.

By the way I believe the watch (Half Hunter) is by A Schild maybe a 168 ?  inported by George Stockwell  who was a major importer at the time,  more to do.

Thank you, an advanced member like you appreciative it, means a lot.  Keep me updated on the half hunter. 

• 3 weeks later...