Dent London 1882 No.042

steven

I'd like to share with you this unique clock which was on my work bench couple of years ago. Here's some photos and a video clip to show how it works.

d8888ba4fadb4ab0b094469bebfd6477.jpg

At the middle of the wood case is the keyhole.

ccf20f5dd6567d2c1fba2116bb3fa6ac.jpg

Pendulum is at the back

428a4c4b951452e83b6868a6097c8eea.jpg

Under the case is the power reserve system

b4c59fdcea1efaabbfc0168d05284750.jpg

The wheel train of the clock

b353aefe54ae608d5bff0da0b1953fef.jpg

9be2448aeb1bbfe71d1f0ad1125b2b62.jpg

https://vimeo.com/134053992

The steel ball drops into the slide and rolls down into the cup which is brought up to the top by controlled release of power from the bottom case. Then into a spacer at the top of the clock.

I've no idea where this clock is made in as it's not stated anywhere on the clock? Could it be London as indicate by it's name?

15f4dfac14697e07e2f0bbf292259879.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What a fabulous piece of horology Stephen, many thanks for taking the time to show us it.

I believe it was indeed made by Dent in London, who also made slightly bigger clocks...........The one fitted in Elizabeth Tower at the Palace of Westminster, affectionately known as "Big Ben" after the largest of its bells.

• Like 1

This clock looks as if it has a dead beat escapement, that means it has no recoil. With an anchor escapement the second hand moving from second to second moves slightly back with each beat this is the recoil with a dead beat escapement it does not. Vienna wall clocks have dead beat escapements and I'm not talking about the cheep German movement wall clocks. Regulator clocks always have dead beat escapements.

That got me reading up on dead beat escapement vs anchor escapement. Oldhippy, you're right about the clock's escapement.

When I got the clock for repair, someone had fouled up the power reserve mechanism. I had to figure it out. And then the steel balls didn't slide into the cups but rolled all over the base. It was due to the wrong alignment of the cups at the end of the slide.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk