Case cushion vs. Movement cushion

Hello all... this is my first question on here, so if I'm in the wrong place please forgive me.... still trying to navigate around to the right forums / sub-forums... oh, and I did spend an hour searching the archives for an answer to my question with a variety of search parameters so again, if I'm asking a popular question for the umpteenth time, my apologies. 🐵

There's plenty of "Case" cushions available on the market (Bergeon 5395 or 5394), but my question is, is it safe to use a case cushion when working with a movement by itself? The hands and dial are not yet attached, so it's just the bare movement... but obviously the hands' stem is poking up slightly from the front of the movement. I'm worried that pressing down on the back of the movement (for instance, when removing the crown pin) will result in pressing the tiny hand movement protrusion on the front side into the case cushion (they look like leather or similar material to me). I'd obviously use a movement holder when working on assembly or disassembly, but for just flipping from front to back once the movement is assembled, are there recommendations for a suitable "movement" cushion (as opposed to a "case" cushion). I've seen some uTube vids where the case cushion looks like it has a concave profile which would work fine, but can't seem to find any for purchase online.

Any assistance appreciated. Cheers

Taz,

A fellow UAE watchmaker!

I'm not sure on the difference between a case and movement cushion, perhaps if you provide a picture of each?

You are correct, you need an airgap under the movement to work on it, If you have dial side down on a cushion the pin which you attach the seconds hand to will poke into the cushion. If this happens you run the risk of bending/breaking this very thin fragile part if the movement slips when you are working on it and then you have to find a new part, as bending it back rarely (i.e. never) works. Similarly, if you work dial side up then the movement will slip around if the automatic works weight is still attached leading to screwdriver slips and scratches and damaged parts, also if the balance is still attached then there is a risk you could warp this and damage the very thin pivots, and again need new parts.

Given that movement holders are pretty cheap and available on Amazon.ae I would say this is the way to go, see below.

holders.png

Hi as well as the movement holders and case/movement cushions there are movement rings which are just that, rings ti support the movement. Classed as movement holders they just rest in the ring not held in but keep the front plate clear of the bench.  Last I saw were cheap plastic and not costly. Such rings can be 3D printed. Ihave two to fit Seiko movements.

6 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi as well as the movement holders and case/movement cushions there are movement rings which are just that, rings ti support the movement. Classed as movement holders they just rest in the ring not held in but keep the front plate clear of the bench.  Last I saw were cheap plastic and not costly. Such rings can be 3D printed. Ihave two to fit Seiko movements.

Can you share the 2 rings so I can print, thanks

Thanks guys, question asked and answered! 👍

@clockboy... funny you should mention the keyless side issue. After finishing my very first watch 2 days ago, just as I was pulling the crown pin for the final time to seat the movement in the case, wouldn't you know it... the stem would no longer capture in the movement (ETA 2824) 😕 Turns out this is a pretty common problem with the ETA 2824 keyless works so there were plenty of tutorials online to effect the repairs... and I did end up using a movement holder (like the pics provided by Waggy above). Was a bit scary to start actually picking parts off the movement, which was still working fine (except for the slipping stem retention mechanism)... honestly? The parts look WAY bigger in the uTube videos *lol* Anyhoo, managed to cobble the whole thing back together in 2hrs and it's working fine now. I judge the activities of 2 days ago to be "assembled my first watch"... but yesterday was my first, actual, watch repair in my book and I'm pretty chuffed it actually worked! 😄

@Waggy... hey there mang! Dubai based myself... been here nearly 18years now 😮

Thanks for the clarification on the air-gap thing. I'd pretty much assumed that was the case, but, well, just wanted to be sure ;o)

I've been using Amazon.ae for pretty much all my purchasing needs (especially handy for getting Bergeon goods as they don't deliver directly to the UAE from their website). Any other good resources locally you've found? I can't imagine there's a huge demand for amateur watchmakers around these parts... everyone just brings there big-money watches to the official dealers I'd imagine. 

SG$ 5.73  38%OFF | 5Pcs Rubber Transparent Anti Slip Watch Movement Cushion Protection Pad Holder 20 25 30 35mm Watch Repair Tool for Watchmaker
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msEWfnG

I use these for working on the movement after the dial is removed. I find them easier to use than movement holders because sometimes the movement plate has a recess at the spot where the jaw of the holder is supposed to grip.

There is a centre hole to prevent pressure on the seconds pinion. The newer ones even have a channel cut out for movements with an offset seconds pinion.

SG$ 19.16 | 6pcs/Set rubber Watch Movement Holder Fixed Base Multi Function For Watchmaker Watch Clamp Watches Repair Tools Accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mK1JIpG