Dutch Zaane Clock

graham123

hi.at the local auction a few weeks ago,and saw this pile of wood and brass things on the floor.the lot was held up when it came to its number,and i noticed it was a dutch wall clock.long story short,it was purchased by me and taken home for a good looking at.first job was to remove all the dust inside the movement case,and i would say this clock must have come out of a dust factory,or used as a bird box.after a good scrub,the movement came out of hibernation and exposed a lovely hermle movement.its the 241-080 model with weights on the chains,which chimes on the half and full hour.the only problem i have is that the pendulum is missing,so using the blue peter method,i have made one with a coat hanger,and a old weight of a failed restore (yes i did not know what i was doing) and hey presto it ticks and tocks :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:  now can some of you clever people tell me what  pendulum i need?,there is a stamp mark on the movement,which says 32cm and a number 122.8.thanks for reading and sorry for the lack of pics,still trying to get my head around posting them   

Here is a site http://www.clockworks.com/clock-movement/hermle-clock-movement-241.htmlthat can supply a pendulum for your clock. At the bottom right hand side of the page you will find a selection of pendulums available and a description of how to select the correct size.

Here is the description:-

"Wood Stick Pendulum for 241

Wood stick pendulum with polished brass bob for this hermle clock movement series. On the back of the clock movement will be the CM stamp. This is not the actual length of the pendulum itself, rather this CM represents the pendulum and leader and suspension all in one measurement where the clock will keep time. All that needs to be done is order the cm length as stamped on the movement, and the pendulum will be the proper length. The bob is the round disk at the bottom of the pendulum and should have about 2 inches on each side to swing around."

Going by this, you will need a 32cm pendulum.

I have never heard of a Dutch Zaane clock, the only ones I know of are the Zaandam Clock or the Zaanse Wall Clock which are mostly repro's.

that could be my fault.i took it for gospel that was its name,after a dutch friend said it was called a dutch zannse clock.

Hello Graham

About your clock.

They are more typically known as Dutch Zaandam Clocks. However, this title is not entirely correct. Zaandam is the main municipality (capital) of this region. The clock was produced throughout the Zaan River region of North Holland. For this reason the proper name for this clock is the Dutch Zaanse Clock: “of the Zaan River.” What you have here is a repro the movement being German. Your case deploys a crown display the Mennonite theological virtues of Faith, Charity and Hope. Atlas of Greek Mythology symbolizes Amsterdam as a city of trade. He carries a celestial globe with all the stars, constellations and planets. If your clock was an original it would not have chains but ropes and the movement would be totally different, it would be more like what we call a bird cage movement very much like some of the very old 30 hour longcase clocks.