Generic Cleaning Fluids for Watch Cleaning Machines - Where Branded/Dedicated Fluids are not Available

I am aware that this topic has been touched on several times in other discussions, but the discussion tends to shift focus before a resolution is found. My situation is that I would love to have a watch cleaning machine (perhaps a birthday present??) BUT I live in a part of the world where I cannot buy or import the dedicated cleaning solutions. I have tried asking local watch repairers what they use, but always met with a wall of silence and ignored emails - perhaps they don't want to let me know what they are using is not what a professional should be using?? I have some access to some raw lab chemicals like IPA/naptha/Ethanol/hexane/acetone etc.... Can anyone provide any advice or guidance which would to allow me to use a watch cleaning machine using generic fluids/chemicals/solutions...?

Currently I use an ultrasonic with detergent/naptha/IPA as cleaning solutions. I soak shellac components in hexane as one-dip is not available (no ultrasonic). The ultrasonic delivers reasonable results, but this is sooooo time consuming needing continual monitoring and manual intervention to change over fluids/drying etc...

Thanks in advance.

I thought about this. Dreamed about it. However I now have an excellent cleaning system. In fact, I have good results every time. 

Peg wood after disassemble. Jam jars labelled 1 (Lighter fluid) & 2 (IPA). 

System

Small items into mesh pots. Everything into jar 1. Hand shake or ultrasonic (depending how I feel), remove all to dry). Then remove balance and pallet.

Everything except balance and pallet into jar 2.  Hand shake or ultrasonic (depending how I feel), remove all to dry.

Done.

I wasn't too sure as I was always looking on YouTube with envy at machines. Then... 'I shoot watches' ... bought a cleaning machine from a working shop in Switzerland showing a video of purchase and repair. He asked the seller, a professional shop owner for watch repair what he used instead now. He was shown in honesty, a jar on a desk. 

If it's good enough for a professional, my system is good enough for me.

Cost

2 jam jars, empty from my bride's kitchen. Lighter fluid £4.00p. IPA fluid 1L = £9.00p.

I know I get good results and every watch that I have that has been 'gunked up' that runs slow, is always running free on assembly. All I need now is skill on balance installation. I can only afford to use old watches, usually with damaged balance springs. 

Great hobby though.

Regards

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

I thought about this. Dreamed about it. However I now have an excellent cleaning system. In fact, I have good results every time. 

Peg wood after disassemble. Jam jars labelled 1 (Lighter fluid) & 2 (IPA). 

System

Small items into mesh pots. Everything into jar 1. Hand shake or ultrasonic (depending how I feel), remove all to dry). Then remove balance and pallet.

Everything except balance and pallet into jar 2.  Hand shake or ultrasonic (depending how I feel), remove all to dry.

Done.

I wasn't too sure as I was always looking on YouTube with envy at machines. Then... 'I shoot watches' ... bought a cleaning machine from a working shop in Switzerland showing a video of purchase and repair. He asked the seller, a professional shop owner for watch repair what he used instead now. He was shown in honesty, a jar on a desk. 

If it's good enough for a professional, my system is good enough for me.

Cost

2 jam jars, empty from my bride's kitchen. Lighter fluid £4.00p. IPA fluid 1L = £9.00p.

I know I get good results and every watch that I have that has been 'gunked up' that runs slow, is always running free on assembly. All I need now is skill on balance installation. I can only afford to use old watches, usually with damaged balance springs. 

Great hobby though.

Regards

Ross

Ross,

Thanks for the above, unfortunately I have to fit in my watch tinkering around a full time job and a family, so I find it frustrating to spend an hour++ of this valuable time waiting on an ultrasonic and/or transferring parts from various jars of solvents/cleaners. So it is a lot to do with time management and convenience, the idea of kicking it off then allowing it to work whilst I do something else is a plus for me. And if I'm being honest, I'm an Engineer and like new shiny toys....🤣, maybe I should be obeying the Engineers edict of "if it ain't broken don't fix it" and stick with the system I have....?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Ross,

Thanks for the above, unfortunately I have to fit in my watch tinkering around a full time job and a family, so I find it frustrating to spend an hour++ of this valuable time waiting on an ultrasonic and/or transferring parts from various jars of solvents/cleaners. So it is a lot to do with time management and convenience, the idea of kicking it off then allowing it to work whilst I do something else is a plus for me. And if I'm being honest, I'm an Engineer and like new shiny toys....🤣, maybe I should be obeying the Engineers edict of "if it ain't broken don't fix it" and stick with the system I have....?

My reason for my system is cost and space. 

Cost. Spends of £10 per week, so I save up and purchase what I need. Space I have a desktop for computer and all my watch work.

Time. I'm lucky. Retired and maintaining a semi-permanent isolation with regard to the worldwide problems.

Ross

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Waggy said:

I am aware that this topic has been touched on several times in other discussions, but the discussion tends to shift focus before a resolution is found. My situation is that I would love to have a watch cleaning machine (perhaps a birthday present??) BUT I live in a part of the world where I cannot buy or import the dedicated cleaning solutions. I have tried asking local watch repairers what they use, but always met with a wall of silence and ignored emails - perhaps they don't want to let me know what they are using is not what a professional should be using?? I have some access to some raw lab chemicals like IPA/naptha/Ethanol/hexane/acetone etc.... Can anyone provide any advice or guidance which would to allow me to use a watch cleaning machine using generic fluids/chemicals/solutions...?

Currently I use an ultrasonic with detergent/naptha/IPA as cleaning solutions. I soak shellac components in hexane as one-dip is not available (no ultrasonic). The ultrasonic delivers reasonable results, but this is sooooo time consuming needing continual monitoring and manual intervention to change over fluids/drying etc...

Thanks in advance.

He makes a handle for a basket which fits a drill near the end, quite a good idea.

Edited by moodesu