First Watch Repair Video Finished!

Due to the persistence of some friends of mine, I finished making my first ever watch repair video. Talk about a learning curve! I have zero experience with filming, editing, etc., so this has been quite the undertaking. I wanted to make very detailed videos, so I made the first video (on a Seiko 6139-6005 'Pogue') solely about the disassembly process. It ended up being almost 28 minutes long, but I think it went into detail on some things that I hope someone out there will find useful.  It's rough, lol, and you can tell my inexperience creating videos, but I think that the technical info is solid. It's been a fun process.

I'll remember not to drink a bottle of Coke before filming the next one. Shaky hands at first, haha!

I would really appreciate any feedback you may have. If there’s something I can do to make the video better either with filming, editing, or otherwise I would like to hear your thoughts. I am limited by only having one regular camera and a microscope camera, but I think it turned out OK considering my lack of experience.  It really taught me to appreciate the quality of videos that Mark has created.  I didn't realize just how much work was involved in creating something presentable.  Kudos to him!

Edited by thor447
  • Like 8

Waw! Your video is really good, very good image quality and very good technical information on that watch. I'm a Seiko collector and I've serviced most of them, but not a 6139 yet. I have a 6139-6002 "Aussie" Pogue that it's running fine so far, but it will need a service at some point, so I'm sure I'll be returning to your video for info, it's one of the best I've seen on these movements, I'm looking fordward to seeing the repair/assembly part!

So thank you and congratulations,

I forgot to mention that the sound and your voice make it easy to understand for a non-english speaker like me, that's a bonus on this video 😁

Edited by aac58
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, aac58 said:

Waw! Your video is really good, very good image quality and very good technical information on that watch. I'm a Seiko collector and I've serviced most of them, but not a 6139 yet. I have a 6139-6002 "Aussie" Pogue that it's running fine so far, but it will need a service at some point, so I'm sure I'll be returning to your video for info, it's one of the best I've seen on these movements, I'm looking fordward to seeing the repair/assembly part!

So thank you and congratulations,

I forgot to mention that the sound and your voice make it easy to understand for a non-english speaker like me, that's a bonus on this video 😁

Thank you so much for the kind words! I completed the jewel upgrades to the chronograph bridge and the upper & lower barrel arbor ports last night.  I'll try to film the reassembly this weekend and begin the editing process.

4 hours ago, tomh207 said:

Good job! Liked and subscribed, looking forward to the next instalment 😀

Tom

Thank you very much!  

3 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I would like to see your jeweling work, so don't let us down with the follow up video!

I already finished filming the repairs / jewel upgrades.  I tried film it up close through the microscope, but it required me to hold the jeweling tool at a 45 degree angle and the footage isn't that great.  There is some useable sections, but most of it will be cut out.  I'm in the process of rearranging my bench to make filming a bit easier.  My view through the eyepieces have a much larger field of view than the microscope camera, so while I'm looking through the eyepiece and everything looks good, the camera isn't picking up the 30% of the picture around the edges that I can see.  Last night I went and picked up a couple of larger screens and I mounted them behind my bench so I can put up live views of the cameras that I think will make capturing the video much better.  I was just using a small 7" LCD to live view the microscope camera previously, and it didn't produce the best picture.  Now I'll have a 1080P live feedback moving forward, so hopefully the assembly and future videos will be of much better quality.

Edited by thor447
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I would like to see your jeweling work, so don't let us down with the follow up video!

The jeweling work was a success.  I'm getting pretty good numbers on the initial timegrapher readings.  I mainly stayed around 230-235 amplitude, but shot up to 240 the instant I took the photo.  I'm going to let it run in for several hours and will finish assembly tomorrow evening.  Then the fun part begins of trying to take all of this footage and edit it down to a watchable video.  I will say that the new monitor & camera setup should make a huge difference in the video quality.  I was really pleased at the results I was getting while assembling the rear side of this watch.  I hope it'll make the video much better looking.

image.thumb.png.124fb351adbbb02e7ce7219e7d311675.png

Edited by thor447
  • Like 4

The follow up 2nd video has been uploaded.  I had quite the difficult time trying to film close ups of the jeweling work, but I think it came out well enough.  In case you watched the first video, here's a link to the part 2 - Repair & Assembly.  There were a few things that I left out of the video, but 99% of the rebuild is there.  I won't put them all on here moving forward.  It is not my intent to use this forum as a platform to promote my own content, but I do greatly value the opinions of those on here who have much more experience than I do, and appreciate any feedback you may have.  I'm not trying to be a YouTube star, I already have a steady job!  I just figured that  anyone who may have watched the 'Part 1 - Disassembly' video might want to see the watch completed. I figured I'd post this one so you can at least get some closure, haha!!  I think I made a better video on this 2nd attempt, at least from an editing standpoint.

• Like 3

This is a great video Adam! Thank you so much. I was expecting a bad jeweling footage but it is very good too!

I've watched the video in two different moments, and I have to review it again, but I have some questions that I think I better ask here than in YT.

- You ream the main plate directly to 1.59 mm, and then deburr the new hole. I think I've seen people that also use smoothing files on it. Do you do it or do you think it's not required?

- Also, is it advisable to lightly oil the jewel (or the hole) to easy it into the hole?

- I was thinking where do you source the jewels, but I guess they are from VTA, at least the barrel jewels. I haven't seen jeweling the minute recording wheel before, I don't know it the jewel comes from VTA too.

- If I at some time decide to try jeweling a 6139, I'll need some tools and practice before trying in an expensive watch. I think a chinese Horia clone could do the job, and I can practice jeweling the 3rd and 4th wheels on a 6309, hoping the 6119 jewels can be used there and the horia tool can be used to ream the main plate of a 6139.

- At 39:02 you say to install the intermediate wheel with the chamfered side facing down. I know there is not a real difference, but I have always hear the opposite, to put that side upwards, as it is kind of an oil reservoire. 

Again, thank you for such a detailed video, I'm almost looking forward to take mine into pieces 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aac58 said:

This is a great video Adam! Thank you so much. I was expecting a bad jeweling footage but it is very good too!

I've watched the video in two different moments, and I have to review it again, but I have some questions that I think I better ask here than in YT.

- You ream the main plate directly to 1.59 mm, and then deburr the new hole. I think I've seen people that also use smoothing files on it. Do you do it or do you think it's not required?

- Also, is it advisable to lightly oil the jewel (or the hole) to easy it into the hole?

- I was thinking where do you source the jewels, but I guess they are from VTA, at least the barrel jewels. I haven't seen jeweling the minute recording wheel before, I don't know it the jewel comes from VTA too.

- If I at some time decide to try jeweling a 6139, I'll need some tools and practice before trying in an expensive watch. I think a chinese Horia clone could do the job, and I can practice jeweling the 3rd and 4th wheels on a 6309, hoping the 6119 jewels can be used there and the horia tool can be used to ream the main plate of a 6139.

- At 39:02 you say to install the intermediate wheel with the chamfered side facing down. I know there is not a real difference, but I have always hear the opposite, to put that side upwards, as it is kind of an oil reservoire. 

Again, thank you for such a detailed video, I'm almost looking forward to take mine into pieces 😂

Thanks a bunch.  I'll do my best to answer your questions below:

The reamer smooths the hole.  If you'll notice there is another portion of the reamer just past the cutting edge.  This will smooth and uniform the hole, and is what is spec'd to 1.59mm.

image.png.364e48cfb4793dce69d370ebfa87e76b.png

I don't.  I haven't heard that before, so it never entered my mind to try.  I haven't had any issues at all installing the jewels without lubrication.

The barrel arbor jewels came from VTA.  I sourced the minute recording wheel jewel and intermediate wheel jewels from a US based eBay seller (who also has the barrel jewels).  sunset2go  -  https://www.ebay.com/usr/sunset2go  -  item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/195602019941

My Horia tool is a Chinese clone.  The only issue I found is that the castings they used to make the stumps left the tops a bit uneven, so I filed them down slightly to make them perfectly level.  I haven't had any issues whatsoever since that time.  The pushers all seem to be great.  I did not use the Horia tool for reaming though.   For that, I used my Seitz jeweling tool.

I was referring to the cut of the teeth on that intermediate wheel.  If they are slightly radiused, make sure that is the side that interacts with the sliding clutch in the keyless works, hence putting that side facing down.  I did not mean to infer the center part of the wheel that is lubricated, but rather the teeth.

• Like 1