What can affect on watch amplitude?

When you say dial left do you mean vertical? If so your amplitudes are not just normal but excellent. If you mean dial down then the amplitudes should be the same within a few degrees.

In the first case amplitude drops because you are going from the balance resting on the tip of a pivot on a flat jewel to both pivots resting on two jewels. So more friction, less amplitude.

In the second case, you could have a pivot end that is too flat, a cap jewel that is worn, or just some foreign matter in the jewel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, vivat said:

Actually i have another question about Witschi watch expert. Do u work with this thing?

I'm afraid not. I have a Weishi 1900. Even so, I take all TMs with a big grain of salt. You can find plenty of info on WRT by Googling:

site:watchrepairtalk.com Witschi watch expert

The most important thing is that you set the lift angle on your TM to the correct value or the amplitude reading can not be trusted.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I've used the Witschi Watch Expert and have a Chronoscope S1, what's your question?

Well i wanted to know what does this line on the screen mean. Moreover, while checking orient 3 stars there were 2 parallel lines, which is kinda strange.

And another question, what does this circle trigger do?

Thanks a lot!

IMG_20230130_165655.jpg

Edited by vivat

The line is a visual depiction of the rate. Straight across is 0s, heading down, losing, heading up, gaining. A solid line means the watch is perfectly in beat, a double line is out of beat, with the spacing relative to how much beat error there is.

You should ask Witschi for a manual if you don't have one; here is a link to their "training course" with all you will need to know (used to be on their website but not anymore).

Play around with your machine in the meantime: it should be set to "aut",, so it detects and sets the freqency, or "man" where you tell it the frequency. There you have it set to frequency, so it isn't giving you what you really want here- that watch's frequency is 21,600.

https://www.welwynwatches.co.uk/uploads/9/1/4/3/9143536/witschi_training_course.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

A recent advice  by master nicklesilver, revealed  the sursprising effect of diry fork horn on amplitude. Fork pivots shouldn't be lubed and I will no longer be oiling impulse jewels. 

Like you mean that there is no need to oil the fork and escape wheel ?

No oil on fork PIVOTS. 

On 1/19/2023 at 6:23 PM, Nucejoe said:

Apology for my late response. 

As the fault was nearly located to be in the fork horn area ( rough surface where impulse jewel engages with ) .

Oiling the horn would expectedly reduce friction on the rough surface. 

As for my experience, my late friend( watch repairman) gave me a bit of compound he had, to polish parts with, have polished fork horn with it and gained amplitude. 

Best wishes WW. 

Will you give me the link to your weblog or site, please.

Correcrion VW . 

See  above discussion,

Having suspected rough surface in the fork slots I suggested oiling to see what happens, a test I often do myself. 

The issue turned out to be dirty horn. 

In conclusion , no oil on impulse jewel, as it will accumulates on the horn causing problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vivat said:

Like you mean not to put oil on top of pallet fork pivots, that's true. You need to put it just on surfaces which contact with escape wheel.

Fork pivot is said not to be oiled at all as it moves little.

In a discussion Seiko was said to oil fork pivots to gain stability.