Artificial Intelligence: ChatGPT

Out of couriosity I asked ChatGPT the following question: „What is beat error in watch making?“

The answer came immediately: „In watchmaking, beat error refers to the discrepancy in the timekeeping of a mechanical watch caused by the variations in the oscillation of the balance wheel. It is measured in milliseconds per day and is affected by factors such as the balance spring, the balance wheel, and the escapement. The goal of a watchmaker is to minimize beat error to ensure accurate timekeeping.“

What do you think? 🫣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kalanag said:

... The goal of a watchmaker is to minimize beat error...

All I know is I never wanted to get into watchmaking at all, but there was simply too much beat error in the world. It was, like, everywhere I looked. I didn't qualify for military service, so I felt it my duty to do my small part to minimize whatever beat error I could.

• Haha 3

• 9 months later...

AI needs to be fact checked. Many times it is just spitting out buzz words and things floating around the internet in some random order and when read, really don't add up correctly to someone with knowledge on the subject. Watchmaking is more about accuracy and consistency of rate, in my opinion, and BE may contribute to that, but it is by far not the most important part. The marine chronometers needed accuracy and BE contributes to that but you could have a low BE and the rate is out of wack and your ship would be on the rocks...

3 hours ago, Razz said:

AI needs to be fact checked. Many times it is just spitting out buzz words and things floating around the internet in some random order and when read, really don't add up correctly to someone with knowledge on the subject. Watchmaking is more about accuracy and consistency of rate, in my opinion, and BE may contribute to that, but it is by far not the most important part. The marine chronometers needed accuracy and BE contributes to that but you could have a low BE and the rate is out of wack and your ship would be on the rocks...

This is exactly what AI would say.

Supposedly ChatGPT & Co are coming for the jobs of all the software engineers like... robots came for the auto industry, or self-driving trucks are coming for the teamsters. If you distilled my job down, I'm essentially a glorified software engineer, but I can tell you for certain I'm not concerned in the least.

5 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

Supposedly ChatGPT & Co are coming for the jobs of all the software engineers like... robots came for the auto industry, or self-driving trucks are coming for the teamsters. If you distilled my job down, I'm essentially a glorified software engineer, but I can tell you for certain I'm not concerned in the least.

I'm a software engineer as well, although, for the past 8 years, I've been making a living teaching it (.NET) to others. When it comes to programming, ChatGPT impresses the h-ll out of me and I'm sure it's already being used all the time.

If you can formulate the task well enough, the AI solves it without problems and not infrequently in a very elegant way. Of course, you have to be able to program to formulate the assignment, but you don't have to be a genius, which has become a problem in connection with examinations.

When it comes to watch repairs and understanding horology, the answers I've gotten have mostly been completely unreasonable as shown in the post by @Kalanag

I'm a chemical engineer with a very basic understanding of software.  Here's my take, AI will write the software, improving as it does so, for the foreseeable future the program will be checked by a  person. Same with legal documents etc, AI writes the documents, drawing on thousands of past documents, then proofread by a person.  The amount of people required to write the programs or legal documents etc will be reduced. 

• Like 1

Been to a few AI seminars over the past couple of months. 

AI responses are only as good as the questions that are asked, or the prompts that companies present to the users. One of the up and coming jobs is that of a prompt writer. Companies can guide end users down certain avenues by the use of well crafted prompts. However, therein lies the danger. Companies and governments can influence answers to what appear to be innocuous prompts. 

There is an opportunity for AI to take away some of the more mundane tasks - e.g., writing Powerpoint presentations - but it certainly needs controlling and monitoring. The real problem is when governments start to legislate the control and monitoring for their own benefit. 

It's certainly not going to go away.

• Like 2

I agree. One of the problems is that the mundane and basic tasks are good trainers of the lower level workers to then move up after learning the basics. Unless the bots can be trained to train the workers, research and writing skills will be down to fact checking the bots by the subject matter experts.

• Like 1

Nobody ever seen the terminator films..... 🤣

The Microsoft office suite now has AI built in called copilot, at work I get Outlook asking me if I need it to summarise the email I just got that it may well have written in the first place, and do I want it to compose a response, apparently reading and writing an email for yourself is way to tiring. MS Word wants to write my document for me with just a few lines of text to get it started. Universities have students getting AI to write their assignments and doing a better job than the students so they now have AI software to detect AI written assignments, but the AI can now outsmart that software so there is an 'arms race' in the AI written detection/detection-avoidance software.

There is also a question in science about the infinite nature of the universe, something along the lines of, if there are so many stars there must be lots of planets and lots of planets with life and lots of that life must have had a significant head start on us and may be thousands or millions of years more technologically advanced than we are...so where are they? Why aren't they dropping in for coffee? One of the answers is that once machines reach the "Technological Singularity" they can evolve at an exponential rate and way beyond us and that's generally not good news for the organics, a view also held by Stephen Hawking... and may explain the absence of our morning coffee with ET. 

What can we do about it....nothing, the cat is out of the bag, all of those smart ET races in the universe before us couldn't contain it (assuming the hypothesis is correct) and some of them must have been way smarter than us so why think we can? Of course you could ask, so why aren't the machines talking to us then? Maybe the same reason we don't try to communicate with ants or single celled pond slime?

Embrace our machine overlords!

image.png.f94851498b2e8b19873ca9eb11d64b7a.png

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 1

Another reason ET of any form might not of found us is our planet is tiny and space is huge ( understatement) and interstellar travel may turn out being impossible no matter how advanced. 

AI designed an aerial for a  satellite which was totally different to a  human design.  The satellite was launched with both, the AI worked better than the human one.

For any gamers (me), the Mass Effect games where about AI wiping out organic life. 

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

AI designed an aerial for a  satellite which was totally different to a  human design.  The satellite was launched with both, the AI worked better than the human one.

Sounds like something an AI would say....... hey wait a minute! 😱🤖

• Haha 2