Is not having one of these is what is holding me back?

I was searching for something ETA 2836-2 related and came across this photo on Amazon. The genius of this method had escaped me up until the moment I laid eyes on this. Could this watchmaking technique help me take it to the next level? Why have I been wasting time on "traditional" movement holders. Clearly, this is where it's at. What is this method called? Is it the Floating Alligator Clamp Borg Optic (FACBO) Method? Whatever it's called, sign me up!

borg.jpg.fedf6ad40a5e537b547aa53d59117179.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's called "helping hands". They're used to hold small electrical devices for soldering that have components or shape such that they won't sit still/at a workable angle on the bench, wire splices, and myriad other similar things. They sorta work some of the time... kinda depends on how heavy something is and whether or not you need to apply any force, if the arms are long enough and/or can be positioned in a useful way... I've never thought to use one for watchmaking, and not sure one would want to to be honest.

Regardless:

https://smile.amazon.com/Helping-Magnifier-Magnifying-Jewelry-Soldering/dp/B08C2RG5SZ/ref=sr_1_70?crid=195PGQLQO3MUA&keywords=helping+hands&qid=1674570570&sprefix=helping+hand%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-70

This one is exactly like the one pictured above (the magnifying glass has been removed), exactly like the one I have, and is the cheapest delivered on Amazon. 

8 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Government issue conceivably means certification so you use it properly and probably licensing fees rendering it not practical.

Sorta like anything marked "Bergeon", only without anything making sure you use it properly save guilt over the cost.

Edited by spectre6000
  • Like 3

On 1/23/2023 at 9:52 PM, GuyMontag said:

I was searching for something ETA 2836-2 related and came across this photo on Amazon. The genius of this method had escaped me up until the moment I laid eyes on this. Could this watchmaking technique help me take it to the next level? Why have I been wasting time on "traditional" movement holders. Clearly, this is where it's at. What is this method called? Is it the Floating Alligator Clamp Borg Optic (FACBO) Method? Whatever it's called, sign me up!

I find it is more convenient to mount a large cylindrical neodymium magnet on my workbench.  That way, the case is affixed to a known stationary position while I work.  I NEVER lose parts with this method either.

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 3 months later...

Yes, not having one of these is certainly what's holding you back.
Without this key element, you'll encounter limitations that impede your progress.
Acquiring it will allow you to break down barriers and reach your full potential.
Recognizing and correcting this missing piece paves the way for success. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:52 AM, GuyMontag said:

Really steady piece of equipment for releasing tight screws in the movement. Logical innit?