Watch cleaning fluids in my Elma Super Elite

Hello everyone!

I have some questions about what fluids to use in my cleaning machine. I have an Elma Super Elite and I am a little questioned about what fluids to use for the three cleaning stages. 

At the moment, I am using an Elma rinse as first clean (which I know is completely wrong), then distilled water and then IPA. I need to replace the first fluid which should be a cleaning solution and I would also appreciate some advice on the two rinses. 

Price isn't a huge problem and I have the option to have the cleaner in a well ventilated area if needed. I service almost exclusively vintage watches. Some Zenith, Omega, Rolex, Certina and everything else. 

I was thinking of getting the L&R extra fine as the cleaning, then using distilled water and IPA as the two rinses. Does anyone have any tips for improvement or does anyone think it's a bad combo for any reason?

If it's a bad combo, what would you suggest??

Huge thanks for all the help(:

I just remember, I am using the Elma Suprol Pro Rinse as the cleaning. Would it be a good combo to get the L&R ultra fine, use the suprol pro as first rinse and IPA as second rinse. 

I know the shellac on pallet forks is pretty sensitive to some solutions. Are there any parts I should be weary about placing in the cleaner?

16 hours ago, BrehmerR said:

(which I know is completely wrong), then distilled water

It's extremely important to use the appropriate solutions the way they were designed. If you using water-based cleaner which are not then you can rinse with water. But if you're using the non-water-based I'm not really sure what would happen with water but it is not approved at all.

If you actually look at the cleaning process when done correctly. The first solution the so-called cleaning solution has additional properties that cause things to go in the solution like lubrication. So it's purpose is to put everything into the solution and off of the plates gears whatever. Then the rinse several of them the follow up dilute the concentration of stuff in solution until the plates and everything a nice clean. It's extremely important as I said that they all be compatible.

13 hours ago, praezis said:

You can leave jar 2 + 3 as is and use Elma 9:1 for cleaning in the 1st jar. This combination is approved by Elma

So in this example the first solution is a water-based cleaning solution. Then definitely water can be used as the rinse. Followed with a brief bath of Isopropyl alcohol to help to remove the water as fast as possible before going into the dryer. 

17 hours ago, BrehmerR said:

I just remember, I am using the Elma Suprol Pro Rinse as the cleaning. Would it be a good combo to get the L&R ultra fine, use the suprol pro as first rinse and IPA as second rinse.

The L&R ultra fine Is a good For cleaning and the rinse should work but I would really like to see two rinses not just one because you're not doing a good enough job of cleaning your Going to leave residue behind on the plates. Notice how your machine has three jars one cleaning Two separate rinse. The isopropyl alcohol is still good but you can swap one of the jars for that. Otherwise I think you just shortchanging cleaning.

• Like 1

The first jar cleaner, the other two jars both rinse.  I always filtered them after a time to remove the dirt. When it comes to change the last rinse becomes the first. I used filter papers that at the time you could buy from Boots chemist. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BrehmerR said:

Hello everyone!

I have some questions about what fluids to use in my cleaning machine. I have an Elma Super Elite and I am a little questioned about what fluids to use for the three cleaning stages. 

At the moment, I am using an Elma rinse as first clean (which I know is completely wrong), then distilled water and then IPA.

Excuse my ignorance. I use IPA as a final clean. But, due to comments, I remove any shellac contained items before this final rinse. I was under the impression that immersion in IPA for more than a couple of minutes causes damage to shellac. If you are using a machine, do you remove the shellac item mid clean, or not put them in initially?

This is just a general enquiry. Not a criticism.

Thank you

Ross

I always removed the balance complete and pallets and cleaned them in Ronsonol lighter fluid in a screw lid jar, you can leave the parts in that for as long as you like it is completely harmless to shellac. When you remove the parts put the part on some tissue paper and use your blower to dry. I used this method for years and never had any problems, just disregard what others say about Ronsonol. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

If you are using a machine, do you remove the shellac item mid clean, or not put them in initially?

Neither. It will take a couple of cleaning cycles (3 min. cold IPA rinse) to remove the shellac.

More often I find pallets without any shellac initially, then I reapply before cleaning. No big matter.

Frank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2023 at 11:47 AM, praezis said:

You can leave jar 2 + 3 as is and use Elma 9:1 for cleaning in the 1st jar. This combination is approved by Elma.

Frank

I've been using L&R and #3 rinse but I'm giving Elma 1:9/water/IPA a try. Even when I order the Elma from Cousins and have it shipped to the US there's still significant cost savings...

...and I really like oldhippy's recommendation of Ronsonal. I get the shellacked parts into the cleaning cup and just forget about them while I'm working the cleaning machine, everything comes out clean and bright, it saves me a bit of risk with shellac and IPA and I do less fiddling with the balance removed.

Edited by rehajm