I have two Timex Electronic watches. They will both run if you twist the watch fast in your hand but then will stop. Both have new batteries in them. Is there something I can do maybe oil the bearings or is there nothing I can do to get it running again. Thanks.

Hi Can you post some pictures of the movements along with a little history of the watches please.  There are many reasons why a watch stops, the common ones are dirt oil oil congealed oil both of which require the watch to be cleaned and relubricated. without being able to see the watch/s in question its just guess work. with pictures members will know the model and the possible causes apertaining to that model.  thanks  

Both are M40 movements. One I bought a NOS Timex replacement movement and changed it out. Worked for a few months then does the when I twist it like you do to get an old pocket watch balance wheel moving it will run for 3 to 5 seconds and stop. The blue one ran great for about 9 months. I have never tried to clean it. I have done several Timex Marlin movements, I think they were M24s I could be wrong but I have taken those down and put them in the Timex recommended lighter fluid, then sonic cleaned in alcohol and used Mobius to oil the friction points.  But I have never messed with the M40s but to change them out.

1.jpg

Have you tested the batteries? Timex Electronic and Electric movements are really power hungry. I've never gotten a full year out of a new battery.

Timex electromechanical movements are very tricky. The balance has a tendency to get stuck to the magnet and if you pull on the balance bridge too much, the hairspring will get stretched out. I think @JerseyMo will recommend spraying the contacts with contact cleaner before doing a full tear down.

Do let us know if you decide to "mess with them".

18 hours ago, edteach said:

Timex recommended lighter fluid, then sonic cleaned in alcohol and used Mobius to oil the friction points.  B

This is not a Timex recommended service.  it is one of many homegrown methods.  Timex method is to use professional watch cleaning liquids and so on.

1 minute ago, JerseyMo said:

This is not a Timex recommended service.  it is one of many homegrown methods.  Timex method is to use professional watch cleaning liquids and so on.

based on the pic you have an M51 and not M40.  What makes it electronic is the integration of a diode to the balance.  Yes, not so much electronics as it sounds.

short of a full tear down any other method is more of a short cut.  Which is fine as long as you don't run the watch all the time or just enjoy wearing a vintage watch more for the look rather than to track time.    I would recommend not to leave the watch running when not in use.  Maybe even remove the battery if they will sit for long periods of time.

Henry B. Fried wrote an article titled  "A $25 Retail Electric Watch: the Timex Model 40"  you may find it very helpful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerseyMo said:

Maybe even remove the battery if they will sit for long periods of time.

The recommendation for any watch that has a battery is if you're not using it take the battery out. Sooner or later batteries will leak. If you using a non-silver cell battery in other words not a watch battery but an alkaline battery Or hearing aid batteries they have much shorter life's and they will leak much much sooner so always remove those when you're not using the watch.