Vintage clock, pinwheel escapement--replace weight cord

LittleWatchShop

This came to me the other day.  Needs the chord replaced.  The owner researched and determined that 20lb test braided fishing line was in order.  Not gonna argue.

Looking at the barrel, I do not see a way to get into the barrel and replace the cord.  I want to avoid taking the thing apart.  It is another freebie job for a friend of a friend of a friend...

BTW, that is just a baggie on the other side of the movement.

I could make a wooden conical pin to hold the line in, or 3D print one. 

Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.b245a009ff978ad29c956db15ecef786.png

Here is a video of a guy working on one, but the cord magically appears at the end of the video.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

No easy way of replacing the line.  You will have to take it apart. These movements are very well made nice thick brass plates and I see this one has maintaining power. 

I was afraid of that.  I saw a video of a guy taking one apart...was not too bad.  Once apart, I assume there is some way to take the barrel apart to get to the inside?

Edited by LittleWatchShop

Well, no progress on this.  I have not taken the clock apart.  I am still studying everything I can see.  The bottom of the cylinder/barrel can be seen as it turns and there is no hole on the bottom.  Visibility on the top is limited, but I am pretty sure there is no access at the top.

Looks like the barrel must be removed and disassembled? 

Is there a spring inside to provide power while winding?

So the idea bouncing around in my head is to cut the cord that is currently in place as shown in the pictures and let the knot that is holding it fall inside. 

I am replacing the cord with 100 lb test braided fishing line (the owner provided it and said that is what he wants).

I was thinking that I would turn a brass headless set screw with a hole drilled in the middle.  Thread the line through the hole, tie a knot, then screw the set screw into the barrel.  Give the barrel an initial 10 turns before running to the weight. 

I think this would do it.

That is up to you how and what you do. As you will know that is not the correct way. Clocks that were repaired by me that were powered by weights always had old parts of line removed from the barrels, you would be surprised how many knots I found in some. The line that the owner wants is fine those nylon covered lines are very good, you just tie a knot on the end, leave a small end heat it and let the flame burn back to the knot the heat melts the plastic around the knot then blow it out that way it melts around the knot preventing it from slipping.