Timex V Cell Ana-digi

I've been meaning to post this in the hope this may help others as I know there is a following for these. I didn't come across much on the old internet.

It's been a slow burner (well over a year) as when another pops up. Most I've seen have all had battery leaks and/or missing battery contacts. As with this hobby you seem to end up with another watch in the hope of fixing the one you have!

Mine started with one that came in a job lot, managed to get the digital side of things working, but the very fine wires on the coil are broken. Analogue side no go. I didn't have enough magnification at the time. Then I managed to get a second one in the hope of swapping parts to make a working one. That's when it got interesting as it seems a Timex V Cell Ana-digi is not all it seems I guess on at which point in time it was made. From the outside they look almost identical.

20220916_165749.thumb.jpg.b37bde17afd5ae7825650f4aff2539a3.jpg

20220916_165834.thumb.jpg.0d0af37afd28c1601966ad0c259dc55f.jpg

Once you get inside you can see the subtle differences between them. This sadly prevents swapping the circuit board, coil or even the movement holder, or to fault find/getting it working

20220916_170811.thumb.jpg.1bd61444b484bf5051fee6f451e6e19c.jpg

20220916_170949.thumb.jpg.ae970b32492d8acd59b9162098f6454e.jpg

20220916_171020.thumb.jpg.a0f940ad27af16937139e80b5608cde9.jpg

I guess the 6 jewel version is the older one and over the passage of time to cut costs by Timex and HANDOK (Which I still think are around) the jewel count was reduced, along with a few other changes.

By good fortune and a lot of patience third time lucky I got my hands on my third which is likely late 1980's. This time after a bit of cleaning and repair to the battery contacts this one worked.

20230109_164820.thumb.jpg.a1f198655a9e7e09949ec90bd43caf56.jpg

20230109_164954.thumb.jpg.49c187f976774356d365dfd93939f4b1.jpg

Any way the one above sits proudly in the collection now. I hope this may help someone on a similar quest, not all Timex V Cell Ana-digi's are the same..... perhaps there's another version out there to add to these?

• Like 2

the early LCD Timex also appear much alike but are not.  An  example is the display glass will seem to be an easy swap from one to another.  but you will soon find the best result is that the segments will fire up but not in anything that looks like a number.   I've never come across  good factory resource of knowing how to identify the characteristics of the modules.  So just as uou state one job lot find soon becomes a pile of mix and match projects.

Hello JerseyMo, you're very right it's so very easy to end up with a pile of mix and match pieces. I did a module replacement on a more modern T80 a while back although it's identical in features you're right there are subtle differences.

For my v-cell the initial hope was in finding a replacement coil in another but it wasn't to be. I've no idea if Han-dok made modules for anyone else in attempt to track down a replacement. One thing I did notice between the first one I got the digital side of things working and that of my fully working version is the alarm sound. On the partly working version it sounds more urgent towards the end. 

In the timex ani-digi world I've seen the K-cell version which I think is older but not by much. On first appearances this looks almost identical. Not ready for that rabbit hole unless one turns up in a future lot.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 2:50 AM, Bearman said:

I've been meaning to post this in the hope this may help others as I know there is a following for these. I didn't come across much on the old internet.

It's been a slow burner (well over a year) as when another pops up. Most I've seen have all had battery leaks and/or missing battery contacts. As with this hobby you seem to end up with another watch in the hope of fixing the one you have!

Mine started with one that came in a job lot, managed to get the digital side of things working, but the very fine wires on the coil are broken. Analogue side no go. I didn't have enough magnification at the time. Then I managed to get a second one in the hope of swapping parts to make a working one. That's when it got interesting as it seems a Timex V Cell Ana-digi is not all it seems I guess on at which point in time it was made. From the outside they look almost identical.

20220916_165749.thumb.jpg.b37bde17afd5ae7825650f4aff2539a3.jpg

20220916_165834.thumb.jpg.0d0af37afd28c1601966ad0c259dc55f.jpg

Once you get inside you can see the subtle differences between them. This sadly prevents swapping the circuit board, coil or even the movement holder, or to fault find/getting it working

20220916_170811.thumb.jpg.1bd61444b484bf5051fee6f451e6e19c.jpg

20220916_170949.thumb.jpg.ae970b32492d8acd59b9162098f6454e.jpg

20220916_171020.thumb.jpg.a0f940ad27af16937139e80b5608cde9.jpg

I guess the 6 jewel version is the older one and over the passage of time to cut costs by Timex and HANDOK (Which I still think are around) the jewel count was reduced, along with a few other changes.

By good fortune and a lot of patience third time lucky I got my hands on my third which is likely late 1980's. This time after a bit of cleaning and repair to the battery contacts this one worked.

20230109_164820.thumb.jpg.a1f198655a9e7e09949ec90bd43caf56.jpg

20230109_164954.thumb.jpg.49c187f976774356d365dfd93939f4b1.jpg

Any way the one above sits proudly in the collection now. I hope this may help someone on a similar quest, not all Timex V Cell Ana-digi's are the same..... perhaps there's another version out there to add to these?

IMG_20230831_004251.thumb.jpg.77001cffef29659b949e86c6ae02383c.jpg

The six should be an eight, sort this and all done

Edited by Babelman
have one very similar, very new to watch repair, analogue works fine, a few segments not working on LCD. Have removed scratches from Cristal. Hope finish it next week.
  • Like 1

Nice watch Babelman, and it looks like you have an original strap. Another subtle style variation.

I reckon if you carefully clean the zebra strips you'll get back all those missing LCD segments. It's great that the analogue works that's normally the part that doesn't because of a leaked battery. 

Any chances of a photo or two of the module?

Also does the alarm sound consistently, or does it become more urgent toward the end of the sounding? That's one thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posts.

Good luck

On 8/31/2023 at 8:26 PM, Bearman said:

Nice watch Babelman, and it looks like you have an original strap. Another subtle style variation.

I reckon if you carefully clean the zebra strips you'll get back all those missing LCD segments. It's great that the analogue works that's normally the part that doesn't because of a leaked battery. 

Any chances of a photo or two of the module?

Also does the alarm sound consistently, or does it become more urgent toward the end of the sounding? That's one thing I forgot to mention in my earlier posts.

Good luck

Hi thanks or info, trying it now. Here is module photo

IMG_20230904_143803_010.jpg

5 minutes ago, Babelman said:

Forgot to mention Alarm not working, maybe it will after cleaning etc, will let you know if I get back LCD, hope so as always liked this watch, never got one when they came out new.

Looks like you've got the 6 jewel version, nice.

In regards to the alarm have you got the small piece of plastic (red in colour) which goes over the spring contact, like in my working version picture? It's likely shorting out hence the alarm not working. If not you could use a tiny piece of plastic bag and or tape to test it out.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:48 PM, Babelman said:

Forgot to mention Alarm not working, maybe it will after cleaning etc, will let you know if I get back LCD, hope so as always liked this watch, never got one when they came out new.

Just now, Babelman said:

Had a nightmare negative (lower) battery terminal broke, will have to try and get a donor watch for the part.

Would've got back to you sooner but I've been decorating! 

You did well to find another as a donor. Is it identical to the one you have already. Any pictures of it if it isn't? That's the rabbit hole I started down only to notice the differences. I too had a busted lower battery terminal but I managed to modify one from another broken (not timex) LCD watch. 

3 hours ago, Bearman said:

You did well to find another as a donor. Is it identical to the one you have already. Any pictures of it if it isn't? That's the rabbit hole I started down only to notice the differences. I too had a busted lower battery terminal but I managed to modify one from another broken (not timex) LCD watch. 

It looks visually the same, module same type but lower amount of jewels

On 9/11/2023 at 8:25 PM, Bearman said:

Just now, Babelman said:

Will let you know how it goes.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:48 PM, Babelman said:

Fitted replacement part, all working fine put back page on and lost both functions. On inspection found the replacement part had broken. Back to square one..

Oh no. I share your frustration. I had the same problem with the lower battery tab. You don't have to hunt another exact donor (although useful) you could rob a contact from any other scrap digital watch. 

That's what I did, with a fettling I got it to fit a treat. Have you any photos of the busted part or do you have any digital watches kicking about?

Did you get those missing segments back? Good luck 

25 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Oh no. I share your frustration. I had the same problem with the lower battery tab. You don't have to hunt another exact donor (although useful) you could rob a contact from any other scrap digital watch. 

That's what I did, with a fettling I got it to fit a treat. Have you any photos of the busted part or do you have any digital watches kicking about?

Did you get those missing segments back? Good luck 

Didn't get long enough to check segments,both analogue and digital working though which was my main worry,will try to make a replacement, at work at the moment, when I get home will take a photo.Its like a letter T with two 90 Deg bends.Cant justify spending on another donor, postage is a killer price wise.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:24 PM, Babelman said:

Didn't get long enough to check segments,both analogue and digital working though which was my main worry,will try to make a replacement, at work at the moment, when I get home will take a photo.Its like a letter T with two 90 Deg bends.Cant justify spending on another donor, postage is a killer price wise.

IMG_20230928_135419.thumb.jpg.c26ea12ae4787fc1c3a312bb8b15a188.jpgThis broken tab, will try to make one up

That's a pain that Babelman, any luck in making a new one. 

rehajm, I think "unadjusted" is a historical thing which looks to have been carried forward onto these Timex's. I've seen mechanical movements with the same, or with such markings as one or two "adjustments".

I'm now going off to find out more myself, good question

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

That's a pain that Babelman, any luck in making a new one. 

rehajm, I think "unadjusted" is a historical thing which looks to have been carried forward onto these Timex's. I've seen mechanical movements with the same, or with such markings as one or two "adjustments".

I'm now going off to find out more myself, good question

I did try, using some donor parts, but so small don't have anything to trim and hold it with.What did use use? I am thinking of using some tinfoil, as easy to fold, maybe a touch of super glue to hold in place, at work until  Wednesday, so will try on Thursday.Any advice welcome.

How you progressing Babelman? I'd try and avoid superglue it has a tendency to go places it shouldn't. Do you have a small pair of pliers and sharp wire side cutters? Jewelers needle files helped to.

I assume you've got some tweezers too. Below is a donor (cheap and nasty digital watch) I used full of useful metal parts ready to tweak to shape. 

20231003_191801.thumb.jpg.1e77594ca24cd4e13816067250070971.jpg

Some gentle bending with the pliers to correct the shape, a little trimming and filing I had a replacement lower contact.

20231003_193232.thumb.jpg.1071682d5afc8e5174a3a9d94f536f1c.jpg

4 hours ago, Bearman said:

How you progressing Babelman? I'd try and avoid superglue it has a tendency to go places it shouldn't. Do you have a small pair of pliers and sharp wire side cutters? Jewelers needle files helped to.

I assume you've got some tweezers too. Below is a donor (cheap and nasty digital watch) I used full of useful metal parts ready to tweak to shape. 

20231003_191801.thumb.jpg.1e77594ca24cd4e13816067250070971.jpg

Some gentle bending with the pliers to correct the shape, a little trimming and filing I had a replacement lower contact.

20231003_193232.thumb.jpg.1071682d5afc8e5174a3a9d94f536f1c.jpg

That looks a very neat job, I do have those items. Do you have magnification or brilliant eye sight?