Calvin Klein snap-on back won't come off?

Hi all. A quick query to start off with - my son has a Calvin Klein K9R 31C wristwatch which needs a new battery but I can't seem to get the back off of it. It appears to be a snap-on back (i.e. no screws or circular notches) but has no notch for a lever-style removal tool either, so I'm just checking I've not missed something else and might break something if I force it? Thanks

Hi as it is a fashion watch it’s more than likely a snap back, some of which can be very tight. Once you have changed the battery you then have the problem of replacing the back, you will need a press.  There are tools on the eBay to open and close snap backs whose cost is not that great and handy to have if you are working on watches.   Cheers

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it was a snap-on, it came off reasonably easily but only after I'd invested in some better back removal tools, and went back on ok with the aid of a proper press, definitely worth getting particularly for physically larger watches I think. You may have guessed I'm reasonably new to the intricacies of serious watch work but all of a sudden I'm quite popular with family members whose watches have been languishing in drawers unworn due to dead batteries!!

One thing tobe careful of with these snap back watches is that sometimes to improve the waterproof seal they sometimes use a what looks like thin nylon gasket, these I have often found to be a one shot item that will need to be replaced along with the battery. Trying to reuse the old one only ends in tears.