Should i try to straighten this pin?I am practicing on an inexpensive Ronda 4113 movement. When i disassembled the watch i notice that the center wheel's (seconds wheel) long pin was bent (see picture). How would you straighten this? FYI - I did find

I am practicing on an inexpensive Ronda 4113 movement.

When i disassembled the watch i notice that the center wheel's (seconds wheel) long pin was bent (see picture).

How would you straighten this?

FYI - I did find a catalog for the movement on CousinsUK site here but haven't been able to locate the part in any of my suppliers. There are donor movements available on eBay. I'm not sure i want to spend any more money which is why i wondered if i could straighten the original part.

Thank you very much!

Steve

F722564D-4E56-4E5C-970E-CBDEB4D4B666_1_105_c.jpeg

You could try to straighten it but I bet it will break before it's straight.

You could try gripping it with some fine tipped pliers, using the serrations to help alighn the end and apply gently pressure as you rotate the gear end.

Probably better to just try and find a replacement.

Mind you once in use that slight bend may not be the issue you think it is, you could just use it and see, a little wobble of the second hand may not be a problem.

• Like 1

Paul80 is right.  The temper makes the shaft brittle.  If you cannot find a donor movement with a donor part, the other possibility is to light a spirit lamp (or other heat source that would approximate it) and heat the ends of some small, flat-faced pliers. The intent is that the heat must transmit to the part as you use the heated tips to make very, VERY gradual bends to straighten it.  Reheat the tips regularly. And in the end, it still may break.  But some do not.  Some people are better at doing this than I am, and I am jealous.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Paul80 said:

You could try to straighten it but I bet it will break before it's straight.

You could try gripping it with some fine tipped pliers, using the serrations to help alighn the end and apply gently pressure as you rotate the gear end.

Probably better to just try and find a replacement.

Mind you once in use that slight bend may not be the issue you think it is, you could just use it and see, a little wobble of the second hand may not be a problem.

Thank you Paul80. I did reassemble the watch and i runs in the face up position, but not at 45 degrees. I appreciate your taking the time to answer me!

3 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Paul80 is right.  The temper makes the shaft brittle.  If you cannot find a donor movement with a donor part, the other possibility is to light a spirit lamp (or other heat source that would approximate it) and heat the ends of some small, flat-faced pliers. The intent is that the heat must transmit to the part as you use the heated tips to make very, VERY gradual bends to straighten it.  Reheat the tips regularly. And in the end, it still may break.  But some do not.  Some people are better at doing this than I am, and I am jealous.

Thank you KarlvonKoln. I never would have thought about heating pliers. I appreciate your taking the time to answer me!

33 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi what Karl is advocating is undoubtably the best option. The hot pliers gently anneal the tip allowing it to respond to treatment but again as Karl said be very careful and take it by degrees and do not rush.       Cheers

Thank you watchweasol. I appreciate your taking the time to answer me!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

I have straightened bent pivots on clocks by annealing them and running them in the lathe using a home made drilling flag in the tail stock and turning the lathe by hand, slow process but works. Never done it with a watch wheel yet.

@watchweasolGood to know. I don't have a lathe yet. I'm not sure i will get to that level of expertise, but it's good to know there are people here, like you, that can help if / when i do! Thank you!

I have straightened bent seconds pivots before. I use a technique that my mentor taught me.

First anneal the bent tip with an alcohol flame. Be careful not to heat it till red hot. Then put it on a staking block or any hardened steel surface with the bend facing upwards and tap on it gently with the back end of your tweezers. You don't need a hammer for this.

Has worked majority of the time.

I've never understood how the seconds pivot can get bent. But I have seen it on many Mumbai specials that I've worked on. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I have straightened bent seconds pivots before. I use a technique that my mentor taught me.

First anneal the bent tip with an alcohol flame. Be careful not to heat it till red hot. Then put it on a staking block or any hardened steel surface with the bend facing upwards and tap on it gently with the back end of your tweezers. You don't need a hammer for this.

Has worked majority of the time.

I've never understood how the seconds pivot can get bent. But I have seen it on many Mumbai specials that I've worked on. 

Thank you @HectorLooi. This is more excellent information. This watch doesn't has a center seconds "hand" but instead it has a floating disk which rotates under the crystal, creating a glittering effect on the edge of the watch (see picture below). It is certainly possible that when i removed the disk, i bent the pin.

296BE87E-DB03-49BD-A671-300A9B54622E_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1