Introducing FireEng

FireEng

Hi all,

I am an engineer and I like all type of mechanism. I always liked watches.

I loved the history of the raketa watches, so I bought a cheap one on ebay. I would like to restore it, just for the experience.

I want to start with some aesthetic repairments. The case is scratched, and the dial seems to be dirty. Unfortunately I didn't find book in italian (which is my language) that can help in these repairments. I hope that I can find some help here in this forum.

Thanks

Like you, I have found Raketa watches to be well made and enjoyable to service.

The trouble is that during the Soviet era, most of the cases and dials were made from very cheap materials, espcially for the watches meant for the domestic market. There are exceptions, but this is mostly true. So, they don't age well. 

This may not help you, but I would advise you to concentrate on servicing the movements and helping them operate correctly, and not worry much about the dials and cases. You might get lucky and find new and good cases that will fit your movements, but I wouldn't count on this. I enjoy wearing some battered looking watches, they all keep reasonably accurate time, and they were not very expensive.

This is the watch. As you can see the back of the case is really scratched. I cannot understand if it is brass or steel.

I would like to polish the case and to clean the dial, just to start. Are there any references about these procedures in the group or in some book?

I also don't know if this model has a name. 

1673453364.jpg

Screenshot_20230116_091900_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by FireEng

Hi have a look under the balance wheel, Ican see a logo (makers mark) and there should be a number in your case 2609Ha which is the calibre. There are parts sheets for these watches.  It looks in fair condition and would respond to a good service and clean up. The case looks pitted due to the acidic sweat reacting withe the metal. There are a few vids on U Tube if you search for them. All in all a nice piece of Russian tech.    Cheers

• Like 1

Hi there are quite a lot in the vids it’s just a case of searching, try watch case restoration as a search string.  The case it’s self is a bit tatty but to be expected if it’s been worn for a long time but could be improved some what by just brushing with a brass brush. Nothing too vigorous just to improve the look. If you search Cousins uk document downloads you will be able to find a sheet for the 2609.  Cheers

• Like 1