Cheap Screwdrivers Bergeon tips for the thrifty hobbyist.

Saw these online at one of the few stores online that has the word Bergeon next to it with a reasonable price.

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/screwdriver-blades-stainless-steel-050mm-300mm-bergeon-6899-m-hs993

So me like everyone bought a cheapo set of chinese screwdrivers off Alibaba and now all the tips are toast. So I started thinking...
Always a dangerous process.
When I looked at my cheapo set they have removable tips and that is the most important part so why not go expensive there and cheap out on the screwdriver body.
So I already have the cheapo bodies as I said for 13 buxs ish ( I always use bux as apart from Bitcoin Bux (not dollars) is the only currency everyone understands. 
13 units of whatever.
So to keep this short I have worked it out.

You can buy a pack of 10 BERGEON tips for 10.95 GBP for a pack of 10.

Screwdriver Blades Stainless Steel Ø0.50mm - Ø3.00mm Bergeon 6899-M - HS993

So from 0.50mm to 3.00mm that would mean an outlay of 12 x 10.95

= about 130 quid all told. But for 10 tips of each size

So thats about 13 quid for a full set of bergeon Tips.

and you could probably sell the rest on here, for a bit of a markup to get some of your money back but less that what shops do.
But ten sets will probably last you a very long time as Bergeon supposedly are quality.

So this is the cheapest way I have found to have SWISS QUALITY screwdrivers without paying the Bergeon tax as I call it.
As from my experience online and especially on Etsy, you only have to put the word WATCHMAKERS in front of any old tat and you can increase the price tenfold...

hope this helps. 

Edited by Anthony7

1 hour ago, Malocchio said:

Have you dressed the tips? Even Bergeons require dressing every now and then and for my use they are a bit too sharp out of the box.

No I havent as I haven't bought them yet as i'm still thinking on it
(tight yorkshireman with a scots father, a fatal mixture when it comes to shelling out cash for anything and I'm still in the "Ow much" phase with anything Bergeon.)
But I need some new ones, as the ones that came with my cheapy chinese set are now just about useless and I did buy one of those little wheelie things that guides the blade as you sharpen it.
but I've found even with higher grit sandpapers the results are quite rough under magnification, so unless you're also prepared to shell out on expensive grinding stones also then thats also a route to nothing but expenditure.

But you get my point right.
Expensive tips x 10 + cheap screwdriver bodies = a long time not having to bother about it.
And compared to the ones I have now, the sharper the better... 

But I did ask them if they preferred a jumper or a jacket, to no reply...

But I just get really envious when I watch watchmaking videos of people with Bergeon screwdrivers and see their tips fitting the screws perfectly and then think
"Why can't that be me?"
only to reply to myself
"Because you're a cheapskate, Anthony, A cheapskate and a tightwad..."
But I come from a poor background as a child, so you can't get rid of it. Even If I became a millionaire I'd probably walk 10 miles to save a quid.
Sad but true.

Hello Anthony, the short answer is yes, high quality tips in cheap bodies is a practical way to save money. You can get better value for money than the Bergeon ones, too. Whatever you get, you will still need to dress them regularly to keep them sharp, so get yourself an Arkansas stone. If the blades don't fit your screw slots, that has nothing to do with the brand name, and everything to do with how you have shaped them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anthony7 said:

I watch watchmaking videos of people with Bergeon screwdrivers and see their tips fitting the screws perfectly and then think
"Why can't that be me?"

Fitting the screws perfectly is due to dressing, not the blades. New Bergeon blades do not fit many screwheads properly and require some time with India or Arkansas stone to get just right.  
If you then switch calibers (from say a Japanese Seiko to a Swiss AS movement) you may then find your carefully dressed blades don’t fit those screws and need to be reshaped. At that point, swapping in a set of replacement blades may save time and effort, especially if you’re continuing to work on the previous caliber.

CousinsUK sells a range of “Swiss Quality” screwdrivers  (made in France) for 2.65 GBP each. They take the Bergeon 6899M hardened stainless steel blades, the Bergeon grub screws etc and are highly recommended. The Chinese Kwong Yuen screwdrivers are also well recommended.

• Like 3

If you want some quality screwdrivers without paying the earth pop over to the quality Chinese tools thread, there is a set on there that are of a very high quality for under £30 a set, they also look identical to one of the Bergeon sets if that's important 😉 .

• Like 2

Hi Anthony tother way round with me Scottish mother and Lanc Father brought up in Yorkshire an like your self not disposed to throwing money around.  I have three sets of screwdrivers two I bought many years ago and still good, and a french set from redrooster uk   they all need dressing but using fine grit wet and dry on a block with a little oil works wonders. Unfortunatly watch screws differ in slot width with different manufacturers so having a few screwdrivers dressed differntly is handy.   cheers

• Like 3

But i've noticed when watching pro watchmakers on YouTube, (who seem to all use Bergeon), that the blades are not flat on the sides but very concave...

On 1/14/2023 at 9:12 PM, Paul80 said:

If you want some quality screwdrivers without paying the earth pop over to the quality Chinese tools thread, there is a set on there that are of a very high quality for under £30 a set, they also look identical to one of the Bergeon sets if that's important 😉 .

could you post a link to that please. As I find navigating this forum very difficult and time consuming...

Edited by Anthony7

35 minutes ago, Anthony7 said:

But i've noticed when watching pro watchmakers on YouTube, (who seem to all use Bergeon), that the blades are not flat on the sides but very concave...

could you post a link to that please. As I find navigating this forum very difficult and time consuming...

You refer to their line of parallel/T/hollow ground tips?

FFFDAC04-8CF9-419A-BD41-039A1BC845CE.jpeg.fcffba450c1b3ed2aacf759d327e4867.jpeg

Horotec also makes those. In act, I bought some, but decided that I would have to have the expensive sharpening equipment to use them effectively, and replaced the tips with regular blades that I could dress with an arkansas stone.

Cheers!

Horotec also makes those. In act, I bought some, but decided that I would have to have the expensive sharpening equipment to use them effectively, and replaced the tips with regular blades that I could dress with an arkansas stone.

This is my go to article about how to dress screwdriver tips.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/sdriver/sdriver.html

Cheers!

• Like 2

I just thought the rule of thumb was if the width of the blade is roughly the diameter of the screw then the blade should fit the slot fairly well. 

But from what I have seen of pros using tools on YouTube its going to have to be Bergeon and Eta all the way for me.
As the rest just looks like cheap chinese knockoffs and a waste of money to me...Good tools you buy once, bad ones you buy forever...

On 1/14/2023 at 5:32 PM, Klassiker said:

Hello Anthony, the short answer is yes, high quality tips in cheap bodies is a practical way to save money. You can get better value for money than the Bergeon ones, too. Whatever you get, you will still need to dress them regularly to keep them sharp, so get yourself an Arkansas stone. If the blades don't fit your screw slots, that has nothing to do with the brand name, and everything to do with how you have shaped them.

The Arkansas stone, isnt that what they were all arguing over in the last installment of Lord of the rings? Asking for a friend...