An early 20th century Flemish carved oak and walnut longcase clock, height 240cms.

luiazazrambo

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You shouldn't handle the brass parts after cleaning this will cause the parts to tarnish quick. To prevent tarnish you could always chalk brush the parts. 

What did you use to clean the movement? 

To be honest the video was only made to have some fun. I know you are not a great fun of power tools but I must admit that I used polishing compound and a bench polishing machine for the broader surfaces brass and steel and then Q-tips , pegwood,  paper towel brasso and some lighter fluid and loads of elbow grease for the delicate parts or the parts I could not reach. (While i was playing with the lighter fluid i also ticked something on my todo list: ordered 5L of IPA not the beer - not arrived yet )I cleaned the delicate parts under microscope - i just cannot live without my microscope. I also used a fiber glass pencil, again to clean and shine up surfaces I could not reach otherwise plus pinions. I still have to clean two more pillars, finish/touch one more square for the winding key and then they all go into a priory polishes ammonia based bath, drying and final inspection to see if I missed something. The chalk is a great idea, i have a piece with a dedicated brush. Cheers.

Edited by luiazazrambo