Seiko 6309A movement performance specifications ?

I have a frankenseiko with a 6309A movement that I want to rebuild and can't seem to find the seiko 6309 performance specifications. (Only paid $35 for it). Great for practice.
I have the technical guide, but it does not say anything about the performance.
As you can see in the photo, its not running well at all.
I can see dried oil and dirt in the movement, so it's going to get a good cleaning. (I'm sure to find some funky stuff inside this thing).

Thanks for any help here.
Bill.

IMG_2420.JPG

P1080051.JPG

I don't know the exact figures Seiko publish on this movement, maybe something close to what you say, but for me that's not important, I wouldn't be happy with a +30 spd so that's not what I'm looking for.

What I first look for is clean lines in the timegrapher (your movement looks quite clean and you'll get good results) and an amplitude of at least 210º or better right after the service. It will go up to 230-250º in the next few days.. Then I inspect the positional difference in amplitude, 6309 movements can be quite worn on the 3rd, 4th and barrel arbor bushings, and I personally have not the skills to correct that.

Once the movement is running the best I can get, setting the B.E. to 0.0/0.1 is not usually a problem, and I like to set it to around +5/+8 spd on the TG, and then check it on the wrist, where it usually give slower rates.

Of course these are just my priorities, others may look for different parameters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aac58 said:

Seiko publish on this movement

What makes you think Seiko publishes the specifications?

For any of the older series of watches there is for the most part never been anything specified for timing rate or anything except in the 4006 service manual. I have an image of that otherwise you won't find anything in the older manuals. If you want timing specifications you'll have to look at a newer Seiko manual where they oftentimes will give you the timing specifications.

3 hours ago, BillM said:

Wow, so no one here knows what the performance specs are for the Seiko 6309A movement ?  + 30 - 15 spd?  Something like that?  I just need to know what to expect after my rebuild.

Ideally after rebuild it should look much better than what you have their. Then your amplitude is extremely low even for Seiko. It's interesting that it doesn't know what the rate is? In other words is not giving you numbers that's a bit peculiar.

seiko 4006a amplitude.JPG

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

What makes you think Seiko publishes the specifications?

For any of the older series of watches there is for the most part never been anything specified for timing rate or anything except in the 4006 service manual. I have an image of that otherwise you won't find anything in the older manuals. If you want timing specifications you'll have to look at a newer Seiko manual where they oftentimes will give you the timing specifications.

I'm sorry but I don't think anything, and I don't care about timing specifications. I was just telling the OP how I do it.

Edited by aac58

I looked at the 6306 tech guide.  It is all in Japanese which I don't know how to read.  If this number would be anywhere it would be here.  The 6306 was their domestic flagship for the 630x series.  Almost all numerals shown are Arabic numerals so I would think that a timing specification would be in Arabic numerals.  Could be wrong. 

There are no numbers for lift angle or timing range that I see.

You will just have to embrace the artistic side of your brain and suppress the analytical side and roll with it.  From experience, you can get these down to a few seconds a day easily.  Expert watchmakers can easily get amplitude in the 280 range.  Hobbyist obtain 220-250.   

4 hours ago, bklake said:

lift angle

If you look up when this watch was made the discovery that we didn't conveniently have timing machines that measured amplitude. In other words there is no reason to have a lift angle if watchmakers don't have a timing machine.

Conceivably if there ever was specifications they might  had it in a separate sheet somewhere. A lot of watch companies have supplemental information that's not in the technical sheets. 

OK, Thank you very much guys.

I'll just to clean it and reassemble it to the best of my abilities and see what I end up with.

I have more questions, specifically about how to get the main spring out of the barrel, but I'll post that in the appropriate section.

Thanks again.