Orient 46943 how to put a spring into the barrel

vivat

Hi, it's possible to install a mainspring by hand, but you'd want to know what you're doing. Probably your best best is to buy a new mainspring and install that instead, as it will come pre-wound and ready to pop into the barrel. You might need to buy a barrel complete with mainspring ands arbor though, as it looks like these are manufactured to be replaced as a complete unit during servicing (same as Seiko 7xxx movements).

Otherwise you're going to want a mainspring winder with the correct arbor size and rotation direction for your spring, and ETA 2892 winder should be fit for purpose. There are cheap sets on Ali Express that have ETA 2892 winders included, or you might be able to get an individual one.

The winders themselves take some practise to get used to.

9 hours ago, lexacat said:

Hi, it's possible to install a mainspring by hand, but you'd want to know what you're doing. Probably your best best is to buy a new mainspring and install that instead, as it will come pre-wound and ready to pop into the barrel. You might need to buy a barrel complete with mainspring ands arbor though, as it looks like these are manufactured to be replaced as a complete unit during servicing (same as Seiko 7xxx movements).

Otherwise you're going to want a mainspring winder with the correct arbor size and rotation direction for your spring, and ETA 2892 winder should be fit for purpose. There are cheap sets on Ali Express that have ETA 2892 winders included, or you might be able to get an individual one.

Thanks a lot, I`ll tell my boss to try this winder! But it`s very time consuming to order new barrel with springs all the time? Isn`t there any original winder for orient cal.46943 ? 

Edited by vivat

9 hours ago, lexacat said:

Well boss said that he tried this 2892 winder and that didn`t help him? May be he did smth wrong ? 

Heyo, you'll find that the Orient 46943 is most likely a clone of a more popular movement and/or uses parts that are virtually identical to other movements, so there has been no need to create tools specific to this movement.

In this case (according to my super quick research) the mainspring and barrel are identical to an ETA 2892, therefore the winder for that particular mainspring should be exactly what you need.

No guarantee I'm correct there though, just to be safe.

If he's put the mainspring into the winder the wrong way he's likely going to ruin it. What exactly went wrong? The direction and diamater of that winder should be correct for that particular mainspring (from what I've found).

Video for demonstration purposes only.... 

I'm wondering if he's using a pin/arbor vice so he can wind in the opposite direction that the supplied winder runs in? Might be something to consider, perhaps the 2892 winder does run counter to the direction you need.

Edited by lexacat
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, vivat said:

Thanks a lot, I`ll tell my boss to try this winder! But it`s very time consuming to order new barrel with springs all the time? Isn`t there any original winder for orient cal.46943 ?

Interesting wording you have up there? So you have a boss in watch repair?

Then unfortunately in watch repair we have to order lots of parts just depends upon the particular watch. Then typically winders for specific calibers only exist if they're extremely popular.

And found some information which indicates maybe there were variations for this watch? Plus I have a tech sheet attached down below.

https://17jewels.info/movements/o/orient/orient-46943/

Orient-46943.pdf

• Like 2

18 hours ago, vivat said:

Like while trying to wind the spring we were hearing a clicking sound and winding always stopped at this point. By the way if it`s not boring can you please tell how the spring can be ruined ? 

If you're hearing a clicking sound from your winder, the catch isn't engaged properly or you've got the mainspring backwards. You can risk the winder kinking/bending the mainspring particularly if you rotate the winder counter to the mainspring winding direction, as the catch can push the end of the mainspring and break it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Interesting wording you have up there? So you have a boss in watch repair?

Then unfortunately in watch repair we have to order lots of parts just depends upon the particular watch. Then typically winders for specific calibers only exist if they're extremely popular.

And found some information which indicates maybe there were variations for this watch? Plus I have a tech sheet attached down below.

https://17jewels.info/movements/o/orient/orient-46943/

Orient-46943.pdf 641.31 kB · 0 downloads

Well yes, i`m working with the master and i`m his like student.

10 hours ago, lexacat said:

If you're hearing a clicking sound from your winder, the catch isn't engaged properly or you've got the mainspring backwards. You can risk the winder kinking/bending the mainspring particularly if you rotate the winder counter to the mainspring winding direction, as the catch can push the end of the mainspring and break it. 

Well i tried today to bring the spring into the barrel by hands but i failed, anyways a new barrel have arrived so we`ll just replace the old one.