Crown winding tools -- any thoughts on the Bergeon 31409 Crown Winder

I'm looking for a manual watch crown winder that accommodates various sizes. Cousins has a nice India made version, but it only covers 4-6mm. I found this Bergeon version that seems to cover a wider varity of size crowns but wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger re: it costs 5 times as much and is not returnable from US.

c56722_pic1_cmyk.jpg

22 minutes ago, Levine98 said:

I'm looking for a manual watch crown winder that accommodates various sizes. Cousins has a nice India made version, but it only covers 4-6mm. I found this Bergeon version that seems to cover a wider varity of size crowns but wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger re: it costs 5 times as much and is not returnable from US.

c56722_pic1_cmyk.jpg

I bought one of these a stocking stuffer for the wife. She has a Vulcain Cricket with a jeweled bezel that's difficult to wind- the spring is firm and there's not enough room for fingers between the bezel jewels and the pusher. I'd say this winder works as advertised and is Bergeon quality...though it isn't a time saver and is Bergeon disturbingly expensive...and since you asked I just tried it on a variety of watches- the cup for the crown is like a deep countersink and accommodates a variety of sizes.

Edited by rehajm

9 minutes ago, Levine98 said:

thanks, not looking for time saver just something for smaller crowns (2.5-4mm) since my fingers no longer operate the way they used to.

Gee, a 2.5 crown is quite small. I have nothing with a crown that small but you see the cup is quite deep. A 4mm crown doesn't bottom out in the cup, so it seems like it could accommodate something smaller

IMG_1001.jpeg

• Like 1

Have a look on the likes of AliExpress

There are quite a few sets of these on those sites with for example an 8 peace set costing a lot less than the single Bergeon tool. The manufacturer is not rocket science so the Chinese sets are just as good as the Swiss offerings.  And you get 8 different sizes to cater for any future needs.   

• Like 1

I've never in 25 years used or wanted one of these tools, but I do remember the "old school" ones had ridges and sort of caught the ridges of the crown. These newer more universal ones use friction, and rely on the user pushing in quite firmly to wind the watch. I don't think my base in mechanics really likes this. I've seen plenty of watches where the "seat" for the end of the stem is worn like hell, and pushing the stem like a mofo for engagement with a rubber thingie seems weird.

So back to 25 years as a pro watchmaker, and never having a need for such a thing, and thinking all those years it was a Bergeon "weirdo thing" (not unlike a specialized tool for regrinding alarm clock pallets, haha), is something folks are hungry for? Or is it a thing where if it was never presented you would never think of it?

• Haha 1

Don't know about others but I thought about it (and purchased the Bergeon friction unit this afternoon) because my fingers can't easily grasp crowns smaller than 5mm. I would have been happy to purchase the claw type end you refer to but would have had to purchase at least three different sizes to accommodate the range in diameter (2.5-5mm) crowns I seem to be always dealing with. 

Edited by Levine98
sp

33 minutes ago, lexacat said:

I've just been looking at these and likely will be pulling the trigger on an Ali-X set in the near future. Working on Seiko 5's and the crowns are tiny and annoying to access, mainly when trying to set the date. 

Put that on your Christmas wish list and sleep on it.

I got one from AliExpress a few years ago because winding some of my manual wind watches really hurt. It does the job pretty well. But after awhile, it was just too much of a hassle. You'll eventually develop calluses on your fingers and it won't hurt anymore. I haven't seen my winder for some time already 

Then, if you happen to get a diver's watch with the 2 horns on either side of the crown, the winder won't work.

But seriously? For changing the date? How often do you need to do that?

I remember reading an article about the job of the Royal Clockmaker. He is responsible for maintaining and winding up all the clocks that the queen owned, which amounted to over a thousand.

I wonder what kind of repetitive stress injury would one sustain from a job like that?

9 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

But seriously? For changing the date? How often do you need to do that?

Every time I service a Seiko 5, which is all I'm doing at the moment while I'm learning. For me it's not a matter of pain or calloused fingers, it's a matter of grip. Day is set by pushing, and time is set by pulling the stem out to it's most extended position, but the date is somewhere in the middle. The crown is small and right up against the case, so I can only just get my fingernails on it and turn it enough to jump a single day at a time. If I need to go forward 20+ days it is super annoying and time consuming. For this specific movement and my specific fingers, on of these tools will save me much aggravation.

15 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

I remember reading an article about the job of the Royal Clockmaker. He is responsible for maintaining and winding up all the clocks that the queen owned, which amounted to over a thousand.

I wonder what kind of repetitive stress injury would one sustain from a job like that?

That sounds like an awful job. It would be easier to just run around in front of her manually setting the hands in place before she walked into a room...