Roller remover, Bergeon 2810 and copies - how is it used?

Hi all -

I have questions about the Bergeon 2810 style roller removers, as I see a lot of them around but have never seen a demonstration of one in use. I think any roller removal demo I've come across has been done with vintage tools or with a Platax tool.

• Are they used as a standalone tool, or in combination with a staking set or something else? They seem to be such a simple tool while vintage roller removers as combinations of different stakes or the "beaver teeth" specialty tools are more complicated/
  • If standalone, is the procedure just a matter of seating the roller table in the V-shaped jaw and gently pinching to wedge it off?
  • Is this type of tool suitable to use on a large pocket watch roller table, or intended for more modern balances? My use case would be mostly pocket watches.
  • Finally, the perennial hobbyist question: are the copies usable for very occasional use, or does it have to be the Swiss original? (for a $20 savings it probably isn't a big deal here)

197825120_Screenshotfrom2023-01-0708-15-32.png.5b92f0e7566169e8b2cd1a479dfff731.png

• 1 month later...

Replying to my own question: I just stumbled on the brief instructions for these on Dave's Watch Parts.

https://www.daveswatchparts.com/RollerRemovers.html

• Hold with trademark side up
  • Spread jaws slightly and advance Balance Wheel into slot until snug
  • Squeeze jaws to loosen roller

Satisfaction guaranteed

Sounds simple enough that I might pick one up.

On 1/7/2023 at 3:20 PM, mbwatch said:

are the copies usable for very occasional use, or does it have to be the Swiss original? (for a $20 savings it probably isn't a big deal here)

I bought & tried an Indian copy and it was totally crap. Most likely the Bergeon will work okay. However, I've seen another method (perhaps less save, but I didn't perceive it like that) with two "safety" razor blades, of which I had a whole bag full of. It worked very well for me. Starting at the 08:40 mark

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, valleyguy said:

This video by Precision Horology shows the bergeon 2810 been usd to remove the roller table

I had wondered if this tool was designed for smaller wristwatch caliber balances while I need it for big 18size American pocket watches. So I am pleased to see he uses it on an 8 day dash clock in the video. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Endeavor said:

with two "safety" razor blades

I also use loads of these for another hobby and am frequently discarding dulled ones. This would be a good repurpose for them, if I weren't afraid of guillotining a balance staff.

• Like 1

There is a quote from our member Praezis in one of the other threads regarding the Bergeon 2810;

"The Bergeon Bradux works fine with wrist- and more modern pocketwatches. It can bend the roller frighteningly if it sits extremely tight"

Valuing Praezis remarks, as a hobbyist having the possibility to save money, having a bag full of these razor blades plus I didn't want to ruin a tight 1930's roller-table, I decided to learn the razor-blade skill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Bergeron one and it works. You use have to be confident with it as squeezing firmly against a balance arbour feels wrong until you’ve done it a few times

It works one modern watches and I’ve even tried it on an old pin lever pocket watch. One thing to be careful of is that the roller table has a habit of pinging off so, either remove it in a bag or stick a blob of Rodico on the end of the arbour 

• Like 1

Like many, I bought the cheap Indian version, and despite trying the shape the 'blades', it's still crap. 

The Bergeon tool 2810 works really well : noting the above warning from Praezis, that rollers can be soft brass and easily bent, and from ScrewDropper to stick some Rodico on to prevent the roller joining the Swiss space program.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mikepilk said:

The Bergeon tool 2810 works really well :

I grabbed a used Bergeon 2810 at auction for around $18, supposedly arriving tomorrow. I suppose it's possible the jaws are chewed up if it is well used, but also possible it's fine and I saved $20.