I love watchmaking. I wanted a new watch so i just cobbled one together from a bunch of parts in a drawer.

While I use tweezers and a broken oiler to rotate the spring into final position, I found that the notched pegwood works consistently in inserting at least one tab and in keeping the spring under control until I get both tabs in. Real frustration easer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnFrum said:

While I use tweezers and a broken oiler to rotate the spring into final position, I found that the notched pegwood works consistently in inserting at least one tab and in keeping the spring under control until I get both tabs in. Real frustration easer. 

I have tried two tools. The pegwood with the hole drilled was my go to before i started doing it this way and it was VERY inconsistent but it was the only way i could get these f'ing things in. 

The notched pegwood method never worked for me. No idea why but it just never gripped the spring and i'd rotate and the spring would just fly off. 

It's such a relief to just be able to do it with tweezers now and not have to worry about. The way i see some very skilled watchmakers to me makes no sense, i try it there way and it sends the jewel flying out of the setting. Most videos i've seen of people demoing how to set these keep the tweezers inside the opening of the spring the entire time. 
Once i get that first tab partway in and trap it in with a tweezer i find there's really nowhere for it to go and the other just slides right in. the best thing about this technique is i don't have to have such a light touch. I can just anchor that first set of tweezers onto the bridge and it eliminates any hand shaking.

• 3 months later...

Figured i'd do the final update as this is now totally finished. I serviced and adjusted an nh36, put in a double domed sapphire so there is now room for the seconds hand and learned how to cut and fit a new stem. Love how it looks with the sapphire and hand winding and hacking is so nice to have.

image.thumb.png.cd73c07127393cb6ac71140f9b31b218.png

• Like 5