Waltham Crescent Street: How to disassemble the mainspring barrel???

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

The definition a railroad timekeeping is interesting.

I watched a video about Ball Watch Company with interviews from NAWCC members.  Very interesting video.  That is where I got the 30 seconds.

Were there ever any RR hack watches?  Seems like if you are trying to maintain such accuracy, you want to know where the second hand is supposed to be, no?

Another thing.  The point of accuracy was to avoid train wrecks.  Why not build into the system model, certain error tolerances and relax the requirement on the watch.  Cost of moving less freight?  Fascinating stuff, really.  We take all this for granted since we have an atomic clock in our pocket.

My journey...going on about 2.5 years is progressing from coarse to fine.  At the beginning, I was happy not to lose parts and get a watch running reasonably well...then actually making various parts for the watch (screws, springs), to fine-tuning my oiling skills, and such.

This watch has inspired me to try to get the most I can out of a watch...at least more than I have tried in the past.

Too many years behind me to ever be great at this, but I will continue to set my goals beyond me and enjoy the journey.

• Like 2