SW200-1 Stem position for removal and reinstall?

Does anyone know if there is a prefered stem position for removing the stem on the SW200-1 movement?

Some movements require that the stem be in the setting position prior to removing the stem, does the SW200-1 have any requirement like this?

I'm building a watch using the SW200-1 and I already messed up the yoke when reinstalling the stem, I've done this before and have fixed it before and this time, so I'm clearly doing something wrong, even being gentle as I can, I still have problems here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill 

It’s not much of an answer, but I don’t recall there being any mention of the ideal position in the tech sheets (or I possibly missed it?). Nor can I say I had an issue removing and re-installing a stem on these and certainly didn’t take note of the stem position. Not sure if I’ve been lucky or if it’s a non issue.

How did you mess up the yoke?

The SW200 is supposed to be a clone of the ETA 2824. If it is a true reproduction of a 2824, then the stem has to be in the setting position before removal.

In my opinion, the keyless works of the 2824 has to be one of the most problematic designs ever. It was what started me in this fascinating and frustrating hobby. I dislodged the winding pinion when inserting the stem and couldn't get it back in. Another time, I used a tweezer to push the setting lever down to remove the stem and must have used too much force. The entire setting lever disappeared into the movement. 

If you haven't encountered either of these problems yet, then you must either be very lucky or a watchmaking prodigy. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

The SW200 is supposed to be a clone of the ETA 2824. If it is a true reproduction of a 2824, then the stem has to be in the setting position before removal.

In my opinion, the keyless works of the 2824 has to be one of the most problematic designs ever. It was what started me in this fascinating and frustrating hobby. I dislodged the winding pinion when inserting the stem and couldn't get it back in. Another time, I used a tweezer to push the setting lever down to remove the stem and must have used too much force. The entire setting lever disappeared into the movement. 

If you haven't encountered either of these problems yet, then you must either be very lucky or a watchmaking prodigy. 🤣

Well thank you for that, cause I cannot believe how finicky this keyless works is. I barely apply any pressure to the stem during reinstalling and the yolk dislodges from the setting gear.  Very frustrating.   
So I have been removing and reinstalling the stem with the keyless works in the winding position. 
I will try this now in the setting position and see if this helps. 
Thank you. 

15 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

It’s not much of an answer, but I don’t recall there being any mention of the ideal position in the tech sheets (or I possibly missed it?). Nor can I say I had an issue removing and re-installing a stem on these and certainly didn’t take note of the stem position. Not sure if I’ve been lucky or if it’s a non issue.

How did you mess up the yoke?

The yoke was slightly bent, this made it sit too high in the sliding pinion thus allowing it to slip out during stem installation. This resulted in not being able to wind the movement.  

I finally got it, but only in the winding position. 
I bet I tried 7 or more times in the setting position and never got it.

I lost count of how many times I removed the hands, dial and took apart the keyless works, got pretty good at it tho, Lol!  
here’s the finished watch. 

F2FCAFE3-85F6-498D-ACEF-B4801AA6A03A.jpeg

17 hours ago, Sirius said:

The Stem has to be in the Setting Position for removal.

It is documented in the Tech Sheet for the SW200-1 from Selitta.

hope this helps

Ernst

Can you point me to the tech sheet your using?

I have a tech sheet, but it does not say anything about the keyless works position for removing and installing the stem.  
Thanks.  

Edited by BillM

1 hour ago, BillM said:

Can you point me to the tech sheet your using?

I have a tech sheet, but it does not say anything about the keyless works position for removing and installing the stem

It can be found on Sellita's website. It's just a brief mention on page 20. But it doesn't say anything about reinstallation though.