Messed up a Seiko 6R35 Regulation–Movement Stopped

Hello everybody! I just made an account and recently introduced myself. 

I attempted to regulate my Seiko Baby Alpinist because (of course) it was running like 25 seconds fast. I watched a YouTube video, read some forum posts, bought some tools, and was ready to go. 

I gently touched one of the post thingies that looked like it was what you were supposed to move in order to nudge the hairspring slower–and the whole movement stopped. I suspect that the hairspring is stuck on something. I don't have a loupe so it's hard to see. 

I'll include a picture if it helps. Is this something I can fix myself, or do I have to send it somewhere to get fixed? I got a quote from a repair place (where you mail it in) and they want $295 dollars to service the movement–although that's just an estimate so maybe it will be lower. 

How should I proceed? Very thankful for any and all advice. 

IMG_1123.jpg

Thats your ETACHRON regulator stud, you have pushed the hairspring coil way to the side and out of center, perhaps hitting beat adjustor stud, hold your horses. You really need a special tool, can make one yourself, there are many discussions on the subject in WRT forum. 

Rgds

The Etachron regulator is a very nice regulating system and can be adjusted very nicely, provided you know what you are doing. There are quite a few steps, which need to be executed in an exact order, to get it right.

Hard to see on your picture, but with a bit of luck, you only pulled the hairspring to one side without bending it. My advice is to first study, leave the watch in the drawer until you know how it is done and what you are about to do. The hairspring, and everything around it, are the most sensitive parts of a watch, very easy to bend or to break.

Yes, you need magnification, 5x and 10x, but there in no point in magnification if you don't know where you are looking at.

Check YouTube for Etachron and see if there are good instruction video's.

If you've altered the position of the hairspring stud, you have changed the beat. Without a timegrapher you have little chance to correct that, unless you learn how to do it the old way, which is way more complicated and less accurate.

Since the Etachron regulator is much more complicated and needs skill / experience to adjust correctly, it may in your case be far easier & better to find somebody who knows and has the experience. As you've found out, it's very easy to go wrong and (hopefully not yet) ruin your watch.

Edited by Endeavor

22 hours ago, clockboy said:

Without a loupe any adjustment is problematic . Before attempting any adjustments get good magnification 

It's really hard to tell from one picture what really happened. Somebody needs magnification and to look in sideways and get a proper evaluation you definitely need magnification.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:19 PM, jrsnow94 said:

Does WRT stand for Watch Repair...Techniques?

At the very top of the Page you can see what the letters stand for watchrepair talk. This is where we talk about watch repair.