NOS member

Jakub

Hi everyone,

I’m not exactly new member, but since after my short appearance here 2 years ago I’ve been silent to community I think a bit of update is good comeback.

Yes about 3 years ago I’ve started watchmaking hobby due to lack of good quality puzzle. Few Amazon purchased tools and flea market soviet watch got me started all right. Number and quality of tools, new and ambitious projects eventually brought me up here. I have to say community here always helped me with my questions and I always remembered this forum as great knowledge resource.

Eventually sign up for Distant course in BHI and decided to pursue watchmaking as my profession. Age 32 not easiest decision to make specially for my GF. Since all future plans and me wanting to move from Estonia to Slovakia because lack of watch interest and opportunity there. After longer talks we all were confident, this is way to go for both of us. 

For my surprise, took me 2 weeks to find a job in local watchmaker shop as apprentice. Basically they gave me poor salary and table under staircase (pure Harry Potter style). Long story short, I worked harder and longer then others and soon became shift leader, then mechanic watch repairer to junior manager of two workshops with team of 5 watchmakers. 

Meanwhile working on setting up my own shop, that consumes all of my money (honestly, learned to live of 2 digit numbers on bank account)

I’m coming back here since all this time wanted to join community that I liked, helped me and inspired me to all this adventure.

Cheers guys, glad you’re still rocking here!

Jakub

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back and what an inspiring story.

There was a book written years ago by Marsha Sinetar called 'Do what you love and the money will follow', all about finding the right work that inspires and fulfils you. It appears that you are one of the people that is lucky enough to go to work every day doing something you love.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 7:21 AM, SpringMangler said:

Welcome back and what an inspiring story.

There was a book written years ago by Marsha Sinetar called 'Do what you love and the money will follow', all about finding the right work that inspires and fulfils you. It appears that you are one of the people that is lucky enough to go to work every day doing something you love.

I really do hope the book is right and money will follow. Right now I’m just happy to go to work every day and tackle technical problems and talking about watch with customers all day

On 12/22/2022 at 9:39 AM, oldhippy said:

Wow what a story. Welcome back are you sure you will have enough time to visit us. 🤣

To be honest, during my past appearance, society here helped to save the time with their experience. 

4 hours ago, Klassiker said:

An inspiring and uplifting story, and more evidence of how special this forum is.

Estonia to Slovakia is a big move. I would be interested to here more about that decision, and why not to Germany or Switzerland.

I have family background here in Bratislava, and thought it will help for start in such a situation. You know, cutting down on rent expenses at the beginning etc.

On 12/21/2022 at 7:02 PM, Jakub said:

Hi everyone,

I’m not exactly new member, but since after my short appearance here 2 years ago I’ve been silent to community I think a bit of update is good comeback.

Yes about 3 years ago I’ve started watchmaking hobby due to lack of good quality puzzle. Few Amazon purchased tools and flea market soviet watch got me started all right. Number and quality of tools, new and ambitious projects eventually brought me up here. I have to say community here always helped me with my questions and I always remembered this forum as great knowledge resource.

Eventually sign up for Distant course in BHI and decided to pursue watchmaking as my profession. Age 32 not easiest decision to make specially for my GF. Since all future plans and me wanting to move from Estonia to Slovakia because lack of watch interest and opportunity there. After longer talks we all were confident, this is way to go for both of us. 

For my surprise, took me 2 weeks to find a job in local watchmaker shop as apprentice. Basically they gave me poor salary and table under staircase (pure Harry Potter style). Long story short, I worked harder and longer then others and soon became shift leader, then mechanic watch repairer to junior manager of two workshops with team of 5 watchmakers. 

Meanwhile working on setting up my own shop, that consumes all of my money (honestly, learned to live of 2 digit numbers on bank account)

I’m coming back here since all this time wanted to join community that I liked, helped me and inspired me to all this adventure.

Cheers guys, glad you’re still rocking here!

Jakub

Aw mate thats a wonderful success story. You worked hard from the bottom upwards and within short time realised your dream. And a lovely gesture to come back share this and thank the people that gave you some help . Cracking bloke Jakub as we would say here in the uk 👍.

• Like 1