How To Clean A Wristwatch Mainspring?

i would greatly appreciate some advice. I have taken a Hamilton wristwatch apart for cleaning. It is a caliber 986A. It is completely apart except for removing the mainspring from the barrel. Here are my questions: should I remove the mainspring from the barrel, or just place it in cleaner and ultrasound the mainspring and barrel together? If it is necessary to remove the mainspring, how do I get it out of the barrel? What should it be lubed with? In the attached pictures, is the "rub" on the barrel an indicator that it does not fit correctly? In the picture of the mainspring barrel on its side, is that a crack in the barrel , or perhaps just a scratch? post-844-0-50664600-1436472304_thumb.jpgpost-844-0-33751900-1436472324_thumb.jpg

Thank you in advance for all comments, suggestions, or criticisms.

Bill

Mainspring should be removed from the barrel and cleaned. More so for automatic watches.

Once the spring is out of the barrel, then it can be cleaned in various ways..ultrasonic cleaners, piece of absorbent materials held in tweezers, but the most important thing is not to touch the spring with your fingers.

Removing the spring from the barrel also allows you to inspect the spring for serviceability.

Can't really see much from the photos but if the edge/wall of the barrel is cracked then you need a new one. The marks on sides of the barrel is a cause for concern if there are corresponding marks on the main bridge, barrel bridge or other parts where the barrel may contact. This means the pivot-holes of the barrel are worn allowing it to tilt and contact the other surface.

Oil for mainspring is usually Moebius 8200, (8201 for automatic watch).

Anil