Does anyone know this movement? Missing stem!

Are there any numbers under the balance wheel that you can see?

There is the symbol on the dial side that's helpful at times it put the movement number there but I'm not seeing it. Then there's something called a fingerprint system if we can clearly see the setting parts we can look at a book like a bestfit book and figure out what moment it is except one itsy-bitsy little thing. We need the diameter the movement pictures are so problematic as to we don't know what the diameter is and that means there's literally hundreds and hundreds of movements would have to look at because we don't have a size of the movement.

as-2.JPG

as-watch.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sunny said:

The diameter is 23.68mm.

Just so were clear when you measure watch sizes it's measured on the dial side and usually it's not expressed in millimeters. That means you need to look at a chart like the one attached. Then it looks like you measured correctly because It's a 10 1/2 size. Which unfortunately is a really common sites. But they a quick look and see if I can see something we might need to take more the setting parts off so I can see what I need

So if you have the PDF of the bestfit book or you physically have the bestfit book which a lot of ways is nicer or both is really outstanding. The setting parts of older watches are used as a fingerprint identification system. Then in the book there the exact size of the watch versus a PDF for you have to visually just look at it but it's not the exact size so even though I haven't looked yet all attached a sample image so you can see what I'm talking about. So in order use the fingerprint system you need the size of the movement is the book is listed by size as the good news is we know a manufacturer's that narrows us down to a section. It's not 100% method because if your watches to hold it might not be in here and all the newer stuff past whenever the book was published of course doesn't exist.

Then as you can see from the image we have a minor problem of every use a fingerprint system we need to see all of the setting parts otherwise it's more difficult but since I snipped out the entire image you can look for your setting parts. Then yes some of them look very similar you have to look at all the things the holes in the screw positions at all Of them.

Then there's another site you can look at especially now that you have a size. Oh but I do know some more on this site but I can never find it because I don't have a permanently bookmarked like I have the list is there's a part where you can enter in the size and any relevant data and it will narrow down what you're looking for. So I know it exists I just don't the word exists on the board below doesn't really have a nice table of contents

We really need all the setting parts so I'm making a wild guess that's found at the second link you notice on the top left right-hand side it indicates that a whole bunch of watches are basically really similar except the plates are differences are basically all the same watch. It probably means that a heck of a lot of their parts will interchange

So basically I'm going to let you look at the website and the fingerprints and see if you can figure it out for yourself as I don't have enough imagery to see which fingerprinted is and there also is a possibility it's not even here because maybe it's Possibly to old.

Then one is looking carefully at the pictures trying to figure out which movement you had I noticed something that was bothering me? So on the backside kind of under the balance wheel on the other side it looks like a Symbol? Is that assemble and if so does it agree with what we think it is an even more important if there's assemble there is there a number under the balance wheel typically it's closer to the edge but or maybe it's just my imagination it looks like A symbol?

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_984

example fingerprint system.JPG

best fit setting parts problem.JPG

mystery item under the balance wheel.JPG

watch-ligne-size-chart.pdf

Now that we have better pictures went back and looked at the bestfit book 2 other books and. I attached some images that looks possibly promising otherwise and not finding anything at all. Turns out that the company on the plates actually existed except of course there's no spare parts and in the books for that company which is typical. Fortunately though perhaps there are listings of the stems by size and you might build find something that fits perhaps

the first link is interesting site is it does list stems and it does list them by size you  perhaps can guess which template is take some measurements of the parts you have look at the dimensions.

https://www.windingstems.com/a-schild.php

https://watch-wiki.org/index.php?title=Hefik_Watch_Co

Worst-case if you're really obsessed about it there books that explain how to make a new stem. So basically you make a stem to fit your watch it does require watchmakers Lathe though to make the stem.

as 1525.JPG

as 1088.JPG

Hi john, thanks again for the detail information, now I know what to look for, I will see if I can find that stem.

Would you be able to recommends a good books regarding making the stem? It is something that I love to read and learn about. 

Kevin

I have a link to a website below. As you can see it's all about Bulova stuff but there's bonus things here. Is a nice military manual on basically learning watch repair you should download basically anything that looks interesting should be downloaded.

Scroll down until you reach the section titled Joseph School of Watch Making. Then at the bottom of the list you to download the entire block.When you have the complete book downloaded you want to look at unit 3B it will tell you how to make a new stem. It even comments about sometimes you cannot obtain a new stem and it has to be made so this is where you find out how to do that. Along with a whole bunch of other useful information you may need someday in the future.

https://www.mybulova.com/vintage-bulova-catalogs

• Thanks 1