How Do You Refill Your Oil Dishes?

Maybe this is a dumb question but how do you refill your oil dishes without wasting three months worth of oil dripping down the rim of the oil jar? 

I've tried straight up pour it in. This results in drips down the edge of the bottle.

I've tried polarity tricks similar to what I've used when pouring water (use a chopstick is a cup to avoid drips, etc). I this case I use an acrylic stir stick as a pour stick. Results have been better but still wasting some oil. 

What else can I do? 

2 hours ago, Paulj said:

I'm also very new but filling the oil cups I use only requires a few drops in the cup..... I just dip my widest oiler into the vial of oil then rest it in the hollow of the cup.  The oil will run into the cup... rinse and repeat.

Screenshot by Snip My at Dec 11, 2022 at 10:56:05 PM.png

The most sensible answer by far.  

I'm pretty sure this question came up a few weeks ago? I use my No 1 tweezers, dip it into the oil container, then transfer it over to the cup - making sure the tips of the tweezers contact that base of the cup - and open them up. Voila - usually enough so I only need to do this once. Obviously you want to pre and post clean your tweezers when doing this using liberal amounts of IPA

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

I'm pretty sure this question came up a few weeks ago? I use my No 1 tweezers, dip it into the oil container, then transfer it over to the cup - making sure the tips of the tweezers contact that base of the cup - and open them up. Voila - usually enough so I only need to do this once. Obviously you want to pre and post clean your tweezers when doing this using liberal amounts of IPA

It certainly did come up Gert, then went down a hare horifice as to the reasons why a syringe shouldn't be used. I kept well out of the discussion 😌

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gbyleveldt said:

Clever! I'm going to try this out. Thanks! 

I use tweezers as well, but just to be different I use my No.5's. another method I saw recently was to get some 1ml syringes and the finest needles available, the fill the syringe and use the needle to transfer the tiny amount needed, then keep the syringe with the rest of its contents safe until a top up is needed.  That is probably one of the less wasteful methods I have seen. 

I find it depends upon the size of the  bottle but my hairspring tweezers work quite nicely. Squeeze them together insert into the bottle. It will I Or action holds a nice drop near the tip place the tip into your oil container open the tweezers and the drop will go into the oil. Just remember to keep her tweezers clean afterwards.

I've seen a bottle of older Elgin oil or it actually had in the bottle itself a small glass rod with a little ball on the end.  which seemed like a nice idea for getting oil out but you would have to have a bigger bottle and typically are Swiss bottles are a fraction of the size of the Elgin  bottle. Then later on they There are using tiny squeeze bottles

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks!  I haven't started oiling yet, but I want to know before I start wasting the stuff - it is too expensive to waste a molecule!

I may try all of the above suggestions  with a cheaper oil to get my "feet wet" (and then they get slippery and I fall down! 🤣