Ideas For A Worktop/desk

Davey57

I will shortly be having to redecorate my bedroom which is where I have to do all of my tinkering as it is the only useable space I have. Obviously it's not ideal as it's probably the dustiest place in the house, but it's that or a garden shed.  At present I am working on a makeshift affair using bits I found at Ikea, again it's nowhere near ideal but it works for me.

As it is in the bedroom I was wondering whether there was a more presentable piece of furniture that I could utilise and what came to mind was something like a rolltop desk or a writing bureau. I tend to favour a burea as some that I have seen could be separated from the legs and then I could attach the rest of it to a wall at the correct height for working. The flip down writing area should make a reasonable surface for me to work on and it has the advantage of me being able to close the top when not in use and provide a cover from the dust. It is just a small room so I don't have much space to play with. I just wondered whether anyone else has tried something along these lines?

This is my "worktop" at present. (I know, my bench mat has had it)

post-923-0-76335600-1436468533_thumb.jpg

This is the sort of thing I am thinking of

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201376096863?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311396690304?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131552134051?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't think the bureau would be a good solution (sorry Geo).

You'll be working on a flap held by struts, and while it suits Victorian Ladies writing love letters to Lord Byron, having the weight of a man's elbows on it may lead to failure.

Also, unless the bureau is secured to the wall, you run the risk of tipping it over when leaning on it, which you would naturally do when watchmaking.

A roll top desk would be a better solution if you have the space, or another solution is to build your own from Ikea modules.

There was a post on this some time ago, I'll see if I can find it.

I tend to favour a burea as some that I have seen could be separated from the legs and then I could attach the rest of it to a wall at the correct height for working.

My comment was made after reading this part of Davey's post Jim. It sounded OK given his current situation.

My comment was made after reading this part of Davey's post Jim. It sounded OK given his current situation.

Understand that Geo, I was just playing devil's advocate.

And I think roll top desks are just magnificent bits of old furniture, so that may have swayed me too ;-)

I don't think any of the ones you like at ebay are suitable, for starters you need leg room. The only thing I can say is I had quite a big workshop and it still never seemed big enough I could have always done with more. Make sure you have plenty of light so don't pick dark colours. Build your own would be my advice or get someone to do it for you. 

You need something like this.

I would gladly sleep on the floor to make room for a desk like that, it's brilliant.

I like the Ikea bench very much too but it looks way too big for me otherwise I would have gone with that. I have had a look on the Ikea site to see if I could come up with something along those lines but not quite as wide and it doesn't look that easy. I'll keep looking there.

Still haven't written off the bureau. Some of them rest on the top drawer or special slides rather than relying on flimsy struts, and to achieve the correct height I can see it might have to be attached to the wall so it will be stable. Were you thinking that I might not get in close enough through lack of knee room? That might be a problem. I might have to see if I can find one or two to sit at and try for size.

I'm going to have to sort something out, my present set up is not really good enough.

Where's Tommy Walsh when you need him?

You will need good leg room, don't forget you could be there for hours and you need to be comfortable. I always made sure I could stretch my legs. The right height for you is most important and don't forget a nice comfortable seat.